How often do you clean the brooder?

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
I mean fully clean it all out. I'm afraid to do it too much b/c I have to displace the chicks into another smaller box that I'm afraid stresses them out.

they will be ok, or you can put them in a dark box and keep it warm and they might sleep through it.

The poop smell will be very strong and uncomfortable to them.

Last edited:
I did notice that when I put them in the smaller boxes and closed the tops that they just hunkered down and stopped chirping. I'll do it more often then. I've only done it once and we go the chicks Thursday.

I do mine about once every four or five days if I can help it. At this point, mine are three weeks old and have majorly increased their appetites which means they have majorly increased their pooping. I just get in the brooder with my hands and scrape up all of the top layer with most of the poop (Yeah, it's disgusting that I used my bare hands, but I just wash them really good afterwords). Then I put down a fresh layer of pine shavings. They don't seem to mind it if I move slowly. Otherwise, they get really unnerved if I go about it too fast.

Back
Top Bottom