How old to sex Light brahmas

kmartinez

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Out of my 17 i have 5 Light Brahmas one of them is supposed to be a roo. I was reading that females develop their tail feathers faster and bushier than males. Also their feet are considerably larger. I also read its hard to sex them as they mature slower than other breeds. Is there any other tall tail signs to figure out who is who or is what I read not really accurate in trying to (i will use the work Guess) their sex.

I have found with light bramas that females will get feathers on their back a lot sooner than males. Some of my males were more than 6 weeks old before getting feathers there. When they do get saddle feathers the males will be pointed and female feathers will be round. Big feet usually mean rooster to me. I haven't seen much difference in tail feathers for mine.
smile.png

Thank you, I am itching to know which is which I have 1 with large thick feet the tail feather is shorter than the other 4. 4 have black feathers going up their neck almost on top their head. the thick footed one only has black feathers almost halfway up his back of neck. maybe its a he I hope so cause it is the friendliest of the bunch and love to jump in my hand and come out of the brooder with me

I really like the Bramas. One of my favorites was called Snuggles because I couldn't sit down outside without her snuggling by my side. She's gone but not forgotten. I never knew chickens could be affectionate until I got my Bramas.
D.gif

Out of my 17 i have 5 Light Brahmas one of them is supposed to be a roo. I was reading that females develop their tail feathers faster and bushier than males. Also their feet are considerably larger. I also read its hard to sex them as they mature slower than other breeds. Is there any other tall tail signs to figure out who is who or is what I read not really accurate in trying to (i will use the work Guess) their sex.

How old are the birds? Age plays into evaluating various cues and characteristics in the birds. If you post photos of your birds we can help you to identify and evaluate the various clues that can be used.

I have pictures of each chick, they moved alot hard to get really good pictures

Chick 1

Chick 2

chick 3 (this is the one 1 think is the roo)

chick 4

Chick 5 this one here was the runt of all 18 i got he was smaller than the Silver laced wyandottes. he is a trooper for sure he now is almost the side of the other Brahmas

Chick 5 is on the left in both pics

Back
Top Bottom