How smart are deer ?

He also beds down in a piece of cover behind the pole barn and in a swamp along the East border of the club.
He's showing smarts by having more than 1 hiding spot, the more the better, esp. if he has spots not usually visited that he knows is safe (meaning less chance of being observed and less trace of presence).

He's still surviving, but is once again becoming more tolerant of my presence when our paths cross. Yesterday while I was filling rabbit feeders he walked out of the brush about 30' away and just stared at me for a long time. Finally he turned, flagged gently, and slowly trotted away. He still retains his antlers. He seems to shed them late every year.

Around home I saw my local herd yesterday for the first time in about a month. Last time I saw them there were only 5 and the lead doe was missing. Don't know where she was, but she is back. She is hyper alert and works point about 50' in front of the herd. They come along behind her grazing away. The Y buck that travels with them has been absent on last two sightings, but I saw him by his self a couple of weeks ago.

NONE of the deer that boldly devour my hostas ever show the least fear of me. Maybe I should hold a rake above my head so they think I'm developing antlers or something.
They all know if I throw a rock as hard as I can, it lands just ahead of my feet. Have a feeling they are all laughing at me. Okay so I wouldn't hurt them if I could. Can't they at least raise their eyebrows(do they have any) and look a tiny bit frightened?

Back
Top Bottom