How smart are deer ?

I think that's way too early, here in Texas we don't see fawns until the end of May, second week of June. I think what Cap saw was probably pig tracks?
Nope, no pigs here, just deer. Pigs have a bunch of babies, deer usually one or perhaps 2.

Last edited:
Just posted this on another thread, but I'll copy and paste:

Can I just mention how much I dislike deer? I mean, they're cute, but so dumb. I was driving the other day, and a deer around half a kilometer away started running parallel to me, and slowly made his way closer, closer, until he came close to running into the side of my vehicle. Then, he ran at 50 kph into a 4 strand barbed wire fence, broke through, did a somersault, and kept going.

How are these animals still alive?

They found his dropped antlers a couple of weeks ago during a basset hound field trial. I've caught fleeting glimpses of his butt as he sneaks away. He always gets more shy/cautious after dropping his antlers and while in velvet. Lately he's been traveling with two young does and acting more like a 'normal' deer. For sure he survived another hunting season.

They found his dropped antlers a couple of weeks ago during a basset hound field trial. I've caught fleeting glimpses of his butt as he sneaks away. He always gets more shy/cautious after dropping his antlers and while in velvet. Lately he's been traveling with two young does and acting more like a 'normal' deer. For sure he survived another hunting season.
Wouldn't happen to have a pic of his antlers, would ya?

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of his antlers, would ya?

No. He was , as I thought, an 8 pointer or 4 X 4. I told the basset guy, "Get them in your truck quickly, and don't tell any club members." :lau Our 'Great White Hunters' are still going on the theory that he was shot by 'some young girl' the other side of the ridge. Interestingly he must have dropped both at the same time as they were found close together.

No. He was , as I thought, an 8 pointer or 4 X 4. I told the basset guy, "Get them in your truck quickly, and don't tell any club members." :lau Our 'Great White Hunters' are still going on the theory that he was shot by 'some young girl' the other side of the ridge. Interestingly he must have dropped both at the same time as they were found close together.
Yeah, let them keep that story going.

That's kinda unusal for them to drop at the same time,....maybe he was just in the same place (area)when they decided to fall?

I'm thinking that's the case. They were found in the NW corner of the grounds in a brushy area that is rarely used. He hasn't been frequenting his usual haunts for a while.

Back
Top Bottom