How smart are deer ?

Wow they really have to grow new antlers from scratch? I would think that take a long time.

Too bad the deer that ate all my fancy hostas didn't lose his in my back yard. Maybe better luck this year. I thought he was a she at first. It's not like I check them over and inventory their parts.

Wow they really have to grow new antlers from scratch? I would think that take a long time.

Yep, each and every year. I saw him yesterday, and the growth has started - he has two nubs on his head. They will grow through the summer covered with velvet a blood filled material that forms the antlers. In late summer he will start rubbing the velvet off and by the rut he will be ready to go.

Too bad the deer that ate all my fancy hostas didn't lose his in my back yard. Maybe better luck this year. I thought he was a she at first. It's not like I check them over and inventory their parts.
Oh it's nothing since it's my understanding that Moose do the same thing, and their antlers make a white tail deer's look like golf clubs compared to 2x4's on a moose's head!

When I pulled into the club today, I saw a turkey pacing the fence and thought it was a jake. They inadvertently fly in and it takes them a while to learn how to get out. Several hens each year nest in the safety of the club grounds. While walking the fence checking for holes I found a freshly laid egg. Apparently it was a hen who was forced to drop it there since she did not have access to her nest. Momentarily I had visions of going to TSC and buying an incubator, but I left the egg there. It won't be long until the crows find it.

Further along the fence I came upon Bucky and his two girl friends. The does stood and stared at me for a bit before slowly trotting off. They are following his example of not being excessively scared of me. He just stood there and stared at me as I talked to him. The last two sightings have been in the area where his last year antlers were dropped.

Antlered animals have the fastest know growing bone in the animal kingdom.
Typically they will fall off in late February, early March. Within a month they will start regrowing. As sour said, the bone is deposited under the blood rich velvet. Usually by the end of July, sometimes mid August the blood supply will taper off and the blood vessels will close shut. This causes an itching sensation for the buck, he'll start rubbing the velvet off, exposing the hard bone. Once the velvet is off, their hormones start ramping up in preparation for the upcoming breeding season. Their necks will swell and they will 'test' out other bucks in non-serious mock sparing matches. Also will mock fight with trees and limbs, fences, stumps, etc. As the breeding time gets into full swing, the sparing matches become more serious and a dominant buck will 'stake out' his territory.

tumblr_lsblod0BAc1qz6f9yo1_500.jpg

Saw these on another thread and had to share them here. lol

I saw him tonight, and I wish I hadn't. :( 28 days ago he was a vigorous animal in prime condition. Tonight he was a bone rack - ribs, backbone, hips, shoulder blades all quite evident. I would estimate that he has lost between one third and fifty % of his body mass. We are not supposed to have chronic wasting disease in NJ, but ----------------- Close to 15 years ago a bone rack of a 'ghost' deer showed up on my property. One of his front legs was busted at the elbow and just hanging there. One morning the dog alerted to something on the side yard. I went over, and there he was unable to get up. I called Fish and Wildlife, and they came and took him. They were supposed to call and give me the lab results. Several weeks later after having received no call I called them, and was told that the refrigerator had gone bad and the deer decomposed before he could be tested. They wouldn't lie to me, would they ?

Tonight I was leading a dog in, and he came down a path and stood there looking at me. Generally he is the one to move away, but he just stood there looking at me. I was the one to leave. It was almost as if he were saying goodbye. I expect that I will find his body within the next month or so. Color me sad.

So very sad for him Sour and for you. I don't imagine there is any treatment for it.
So many areas want them thinned out or just plain gone. Wonder if "they" didn't create the disease.

Back
Top Bottom