How to add more oils to feathers

K4zn4v3

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
I have a muscovy duck that has barely any (if any) oil on his feathers. He takes a bath every couple of day and then preens himself for at least one hour. When he takes a bath he gets completly soaked down the skin, feathers and down are drenched just from being in the pool less than a minute. Its takes him about 3 hours to be completly dry. Because it is starting to get down below freezing at night, I am worried that if it rains and he gets wet then he will freeze to death. What can I do to help him? Is there anything I can add to his diet that will help?

You can check the oil gland for blockage or to make sure it is actually producing oil. Muscovies tend to have less active glands than other ducks- also just before they molt when the feathers are old and getting a little ragged-they are harder to keep waterproofed.

How old is he??

It sounds like its a gland problem, I have a call drake I resuced that had a cut down his back and to his gland on his rear, now he is unable to preen himself properly because the gland(which produces the oils they use to preen) is damaged. Your muscoviies gland may not be working properly. Could be diet or could be the way he is. As long as he is kept dry during the colder days he should be fine. My drake is a big baby and makes me dry him off for him!

Quote:
He is a little over 2 years old. He has never had this problem before now. How do I check for blockage?

Check around the base of the tail..If the gland is blocked it may be swollen or discoloured. I havent ever had a duck with a blocked gland so dont have pics - but you can do a google search for pictures to know what to look for..

I have several Muscovies and they all have the same issue. I find however, that they know when to get wet and when to stay dry. As has been suggested, check the oil gland but I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm no muscovy expert, actually I never owned any so snakeman may be the best to answer it. All I know is that vitamin E plays a role with oil glands. Perhaps you can add that to the diet.

Back
Top Bottom