how to cope w/ chick mortality?

haha I have plenty of my own mixed males, but I'm hoping to start a flock with a different breed
Me thinks that using 'outside' blood will always strengthen the offspring. I do have pens with individual breeds, but I have two larger pens where I have one roo and his lady/ies. I find the babes from the crosses are stronger, more robust and over all just better kids.

That would depend on what you have, honestly 😅. I'm incredibly picky about breeds and I keep them all seperate so I don't get mix ups apart from my mix flock
Honestly I'm just incredibly picky about who gets the birds I'm raising too! I have 7 pens, only two pens have different breeds (roos are not the same breed as the hens), however they produce more robust babes that my purbreds. Wink.

I assume that a certain percentage of chicks will die within the first week and chalk it up to abnormalities or defects. This is nature's way of culling weak, genetically unsound animals.

I also assume that when a chick dies that God needed one more perfect soul in heaven.

Both assumptions bring me a sense of peace.
That's a nice philosophy... they are perfect little souls, huh? I believe that my passed chicks and other pets are in the hands of my ancestors, and that gives me some peace. It's still so sad though.

To us, natures ways seem cruel at times. Survival of the fittest to propetuate the species. If all survived it would weaken and soon make extinct the species. Know that natures ways are right, take good care of the ones that live on to contribute to the next generation. It has always been that way.
you're right, thank you. mother nature is all about balance, both life and death. What I can do is take the best possible care of the surviving ones, and wish a peaceful rest to those who don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom