how to cope w/ chick mortality?

chaoticandrew

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
Seattle, WA
hello! some of yall might recognize me from the quail forums, but i just got some buff orpington chicks this year. they were mail ordered and so far two of them have suddenly died. one died while i was out on a short walk (sudden!) and the other was weak, i tried everything to revive her (syringe nutri drench, constant attention) but she soon died. probably either wry neck or just weak chick stuff. anyway i am heartbroken and feeling very very stupid (and maybe feeling residual grief from the loss of my quail flock last year) but do any of yall know how to emotionally deal with this? i can find plenty of advice on how to physically care for chicks but how do you cope with the loss? i knew this would happen but i am still crying over it. i hate burying chicks.

hello! some of yall might recognize me from the quail forums, but i just got some buff orpington chicks this year. they were mail ordered and so far two of them have suddenly died. one died while i was out on a short walk (sudden!) and the other was weak, i tried everything to revive her (syringe nutri drench, constant attention) but she soon died. probably either wry neck or just weak chick stuff. anyway i am heartbroken and feeling very very stupid (and maybe feeling residual grief from the loss of my quail flock last year) but do any of yall know how to emotionally deal with this? i can find plenty of advice on how to physically care for chicks but how do you cope with the loss? i knew this would happen but i am still crying over it. i hate burying chicks.
:hugsWe know from the start that it can and will happen, but that does not prevent the hurt we feel when it actually happens.
I am sorry for your losses and I hope that you may find comfort in the thought, that at least they were cared for and loved.

Sometimes there is just nothing one can do to prevent this.

I assume that a certain percentage of chicks will die within the first week and chalk it up to abnormalities or defects. This is nature's way of culling weak, genetically unsound animals.

I also assume that when a chick dies that God needed one more perfect soul in heaven.

Both assumptions bring me a sense of peace.

I grew up on a farm. Life and death is just a part of farm life. Sometimes its unexpected. Other times its butchering day. I enjoy my chickens, but I'm not emotionally attached to them. They have a job to do. When they are no longer doing it, they will be culled one way or another. Until that day comes, I do my best to make sure they have a healthy, safe life.

i would just order 10%+ of what you want so that if some turn out to be roosters or die, you’re still good. i am going to order meat birds from the hatchery and am going to get 20% more than i need. having chicks die is just a part of the deal and you have to factor that into the process. if the rest are fine, i highly doubt it was anything you did.

Back
Top Bottom