how to deal with issue with "free" eggs?

Users, sheesh! Tell them the free ones are for the homeless shelter. You must charge for all others. I cannot stand someone who thinks they are entitled to a handout. The birds eat feed that must be paid for. If they knew how much you have to pay and how much you use in a week, maybe it would become clear that you cannot give them free groceries.

sad.png

It's a different world we live in now.

You know, on occasion a neighbor will get free eggs, but they have bought eggs from us for awhile, so it's like a "good customer bonus". If someone really needed groceries, I'd be happy to give them eggs. If they feel entitled, they dont get any.

Who knows maybe they are selling your eggs that you give them free...I would put stop to it..if they want eggs get in line with the rest of your paying customers after all you have to pay to feed these chickens to lay those eggs.. good luck with what happens..

Our neighbors are great. They provide our girls with all their scrap vegetables, offer to watch them for us if we're going to be out of town, let us know if anyone was on our land when we were gone, offer to help in our garden, ask us whose car was in our driveway from 1:00 to 3:00 yesterday afternoon...
roll.png
lol.png

Okay, so maybe it's not THAT bad! Lol. But they get free eggs whenever they want them, and offer to pay for them.. They even shove money down my shirt and then try to kick me out of their house before I can try to "refund" them....

In any event... Just tell them that you only have X amount of eggs per week. The few dozen that you had given them in the past were "extras" after your family had eaten their fill, and after your customers purchased all that they wanted. Tell them that if you have any extra next week you wouldn't mind giving them some, however, if they want to want to insure that they get their eggs, they should consider purchasing them as you rarely have any extras available.

At least.. that's what I would say.. Considering we have had ZERO luck actually selling eggs...
roll.png

I saw an ad on Craigs List for someone looking for farm fresh eggs to help tide them over for a few weeks. I responded and after verifying through his work email that he wasn't some wacko I gave him directions to come pick a few dozen up. I made a condition that he had to bring cartons. He showed up without cartons
idunno.gif
I gave him 3 doz. anyway. Within 3 days he was emailing me for more. I had extras a couple of weeks later and he showed up without cartons again
barnie.gif
When he pestered me again for more free eggs I told him the girls were on strike and I wasn't getting enough for PAYING customers.
I hope the 6 doz. free eggs actually helped his family but c'mon, you can't bring cartons? Not even the 3 I orginally sent with him?
I felt taken advatage of
idunno.gif

I'm facing this very thing lately. We helped someone out a while back with housing and food, etc., and now they have a place of their own. They buy junk food with their food stamps and ask us for our eggs. They won't even come get them, they want DW to bring them by on her way to work.
barnie.gif
Next time I'm saying no.

Deb, I would just explain that you fill orders for paying customers first and if he wants to get on the list he can. How frustrating.

Kbarret.... someone needed FARM FRESH eggs to tide them over, huh? My first thought is that they were more than likely "tied over" from the $$ they got from selling YOUR farm fresh eggs! Perhaps they didn't have the cartons you gave them because your free cartons went along with your free eggs when they SOLD them.
hmm.png

OP, nip the mooching in the bud ASAP!
nipit.jpg
wink.png

I also think they are selling your "free" eggs and making a good profit. If they keep asking for eggs I would say yes I have some but they are $4.00 a dozen, will that be cash, check, or credit card?

Back
Top Bottom