how to deal with issue with "free" eggs?

I would just say "Yes we do, the are XX per dozen." Don't go into details about the whys or wherefors, that just gives them something to argue. Leave it simple and quick. If they really want them, they'll buy them. If not, someone else will buy them...

We also give eggs away as a thank you for a special favor (hubby needed a dozen last week for borrowing the neighbor's chain saw) but I draw the line if someone "asks" for eggs. (OK, when the little kids that my daughter babysits for come over to see our chickens they get to take as many eggs as they can find home with them...usually 2-4
wink.png
)

Since my daughter (the keeper of the chickens, eggs, and feed bill) has many paying egg customers, more than we can handle right now...when someone "asks" for eggs I just explain that I would have a few extra eggs about 3 weeks from now as it takes us 2-3 days to generate one dozen. Once they figure out that they have to get in line...they either give up on the free deal or they offer to pay so they can get in line.

My daughter has individual envelopes for her paying customers. She includes the envelope in the carton when she delivers the eggs. The neighbors then drop off their envelope with the payment in a basket hung beside our door. They know that their envelope does not get back in line for eggs until payment is received for what they have already gotten.

We have been disappointed lately with a few neighbors who "were desperate" to get on her egg list, then after a few dozen, did not return their envelopes with payment. But just when one door slams shut another opened. We all had dental cleanings a few weeks ago and mentioned the chickens to the ladies at the front desk. They all wanted eggs...it worked out to 6 dozen every 2 weeks, and for more than what the neighbors are paying per dozen! I told them that chickens can't lay that fast so my daughter promised 4 dozen every month, delivered...until her new batch of chicks are laying in the Fall. Then she went to work yesterday at the vet's office out in the boonies. She bought lunch at the little cafe next door as she does each week. The ladies who own the place take good care of her for lunch and always look out for her in bad weather. They asked about her chickens and then mentioned that the lady in their valley who was supplying them with eggs has decided to cull her flock. They would like as many as we can spare...again for a great price! So last night she called a friend who has chickens but they have been trashing excess eggs. She made a deal to sell their excess eggs for them, to keep her customers happy!

So don't underestimate your worth. My daughter has learned that you should start out asking enough to cover your feed bill plus a bit more for your effort, even when we keep 3 dozen eggs every month. And the egg business has really helped with her shyness. She now tells everyone about her chickens and has more customers than we can handle. And, after she pays her monthly feed bill, she gets to deposit the profit each month...great way to motivate the college-bound teenager!

And what I find most interesting is that I see ads on Craigslist every day for people in our area selling eggs, usually at fair prices but you have to do the pick up...not everyone wants to drive 10 miles out of town...and they post regularly so they must not be selling many eggs.

i'm sorry HennysMom, and everyone else with the same problem. Unless you own chickens, you have no idea how much work goes into each and every egg. It's not just the feed bill. There's the cost of the coops and pens and feeders and waterers and treats. Then the medications and shots and vet bills to keep them healthy. Not to mention sludging out in the cold and rain (or snow) to tend to them. And anyone who has ever watched a hen lay an egg knows it involves some effort on their part, and they only have so many eggs in there.

In the beginning, we were so excited about the eggs we were giving them away right and left. Over time, and with my continuing efforts, i've become more selective. When every egg represents time, money, blood, sweat, and tears, you don't want to just hand them out to anyone.

Anyhow, i'm glad we don't currently have this problem. Only one neighbor will come over or call asking for eggs, but he's a good buddy and very generous with us on a regular basis. And he always says not to give him any if it will make us short. So we're happy to share with him.

When they call monday just say you've promised them to paying customers! Its like 'planting' a seed in their heads. Then next time they call, they will ask how much you want when they ask if you have any eggs.

My husband is king of planting that seed. Made a random joke at work about how comfortable he'd be with $40k a year... (long joke to get to that, but they were really laughing over it.) Then his boss gets all serious and says he's actually already working on that for him!!!

See... a little seed will hint you want $$$$.

Quote:
I didn't read this thread all the way through- sneaking in a little BYC on lunch break_

Any way I agree with MJ. Obviously they LOVE your eggs or they couldn't eat all of them in a weeks time. I bet they will be understanding of paying a very nominal fee for such an outstanding product!

This may sound a little weird... but here goes anyways. I tithe 10 percent off the top of my eggs... the best... to my neighbor, kind of like the offering of firstfruits in the Bible. Then I tithe 10% of my profit off the top. My neighbor is the one who puts up with me, so she gets the freebies. The rest are 2.00 a dozen to anyone who wants them.... and now I have more orders than I can sell. I actually need more hens! If I know someone is going through tough times I'll kick 'em a dozen or two.... But they are never a free commodity!

I would not give them any more eggs. they stepped over the line when they asked for more..

just tell them the only reason you gave them eggs is because you felt generous that day..

I would NOT take these people on as buying customers.. If they have the b---s to ask for free eggs, then they are going to expect to be first on the list for the eggs if they have to pay for them. tell them sorry, I have all the customers my chickens can handle..

Back
Top Bottom