How to Feather Sex chicks?

Hillflowerranch:
found this link, but it says feather sexing can be done only on day1-3 after hatching...but thought it was informative
http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/index.htm

thumbsup.gif

Thank you so much for posting this link! It's exactly what I was looking for .

I've read that feather sexing can only be done under 3 days and if they have the feather sexing gene. Well, I bought these blrw chicks from a local place that claims to feather sex their chickens but I bought 4 straight run. Anybody have any guesses as to the sex? They are a week old. I am also taking into consideration their tail feathers.

Chick 1 (has tail feathers starting)

Chick 2 (very different feathers than others, NO tail feathers)

Chick 3 ( has tail feathers starting)

Chick 4 (has tail feathers coming in as well)

Last edited:
I've read that feather sexing can only be done under 3 days and if they have the feather sexing gene. Well, I bought these blrw chicks from a local place that claims to feather sex their chickens but I bought 4 straight run. Anybody have any guesses as to the sex? They are a week old. I am also taking into consideration their tail feathers.

It's quite difficult to tell once they are this feathered but my best guess would be that #2 is a pullet, not sure on the others.

Krista,
Now that another month has gone by, can you tell us what sexes the chicks turned out? I would have guessed opposite, that #2 was a cockerel and all the rest were pullets. Hope you get this, I am very curious!

2 females ....2 males

Have you found out what they are yet? I'd love to know. I can sex at about 99% if I look at 2 day chick wing feathers. Of course I don't have all kinds of chickens but a good mix. My one failure was a female black australorp and golden polish mix. Looked like a pullet and ended up a roo. I have a hen sitting on some eggs I purchased and they are some blue/black/splash marans, some lavender ameraucanas, and either blue or black orpingtons. I can't remember what kind the orpingtons are so for now I will just have guess at them all once they get here. I'm hoping I can feather sex them. Still trying to wade through all the posts.

Back
Top Bottom