How to feed oyster shell

cajun41887

Songster
Nov 25, 2015
Parrish, Florida
I have my feed in a Tupperware container with piping they have to stick their heads in so they can't spill it everywhere. I have 8 hens and 2 Roos, so I'm continuing to feed the 18% protein chick feed instead of layer feed so my Roos are not subject to calcium they don't need. I'm offering oyster shell on the side in a rabbit feeder so my hens have the extra calcium they need. Problem is, I fill it and they promptly dig it all out. Feeder is placed at eye level and secured to side of their run. Any ideas? What do u guys do? This isobar first venture with chickens. Just trying to prevent waste and provide what they need. Our second hen started laying today. Still waiting on the other 6!

Last edited:
I leave it free choice in a cup that is secured to a post in the run. Mine is about "chest high".
Is it possible that since yours is at "eye level" your girls are digging it out so they can pick and choose which pieces they want? You might want to try lowering it and see if that helps.

I have a 4 foot long section of PVC pipe that is 4" in diameter. The bottom is connected to a Y coupling. The bottom of the Y is blocked with 4" round piece of wood cut out from a sheet of plywood with a 4" hole saw. Pipe gets glued into top of Y. I cover the top of pipe with 4" PVC cap. It's not glued on since this is where I fill it. The other opening in the Y is where they get access to oyster shells. The whole thing sits up on a cinder block. They have access but don't waste any and the roosters leave it alone. I'd take a pic but mobile app hasn't let me upload them and this site hasn't been working on my laptop since I adjusted security setting.

I have a 4 foot long section of PVC pipe that is 4" in diameter. The bottom is connected to a Y coupling. The bottom of the Y is blocked with 4" round piece of wood cut out from a sheet of plywood with a 4" hole saw. Pipe gets glued into top of Y. I cover the top of pipe with 4" PVC cap. It's not glued on since this is where I fill it. The other opening in the Y is where they get access to oyster shells. The whole thing sits up on a cinder block. They have access but don't waste any and the roosters leave it alone. I'd take a pic but mobile app hasn't let me upload them and this site hasn't been working on my laptop since I adjusted security setting.[/quote

Thank u so much!

I also using a rabbit feeder for my oyster shell and mine were also spilling it all over the place, even after I moved it higher. I decided to take some extra 1/4x1/4" wire (hardware cloth) we used to enclose their fenced area and stuck a piece down inside, through the feeder area, and wrap around underneath. They are able to pick some out through the holes, but aren't able to sweep it out with their beaks anymore. Hope this helps!

I take another way entirely. I toss a handful in the run or in the deep litter bedding every day or so. Scratching for food is a natural thing we've taken away from our birds for the most part and I feel this gives them some stimulation.

I have my feed in a Tupperware container with piping they have to stick their heads in so they can't spill it everywhere. I have 8 hens and 2 Roos, so I'm continuing to feed the 18% protein chick feed instead of layer feed so my Roos are not subject to calcium they don't need. I'm offering oyster shell on the side in a rabbit feeder so my hens have the extra calcium they need. Problem is, I fill it and they promptly dig it all out. Feeder is placed at eye level and secured to side of their run. Any ideas? What do u guys do? This isobar first venture with chickens. Just trying to prevent waste and provide what they need. Our second hen started laying today. Still waiting on the other 6!

We built this and placed drain covers (cut out a few slits big enough to get some food) over the pvc pipe. But you must glue the covers down or you will end up with a chicken at risk of hurting itself. Luckily I got to mine before anything happened to her aND care fully removed it.

Back
Top Bottom