How to "fix" a swamp??

If I werent almost in a wheel chair I could hitch my horse to the tractor tire.... and drag the road... That tire winds up filling to the top with the loose sand....dont know how much it is but more than enough for me to shovel. BIG tractor tire. I used to let a couple of kids ride on top of it when I was at the boarding stable.... My goodness those were happy dirty kids by the end of the day...

deb

This problem happens to my chicken run as well! I tried to put in some pine shavings and chopped up dry leaves but it got soggy and disgusting. Pine shavings are kind of expensive here and I don't know where to get sawdust. I'll probably end up getting some pea gravel so I can at least WALK in there without getting my shoes totaled...lol.

This problem happens to my chicken run as well! I tried to put in some pine shavings and chopped up dry leaves but it got soggy and disgusting. Pine shavings are kind of expensive here and I don't know where to get sawdust. I'll probably end up getting some pea gravel so I can at least WALK in there without getting my shoes totaled...lol.

A combo of pine shavings and dried leaves only doesn't allow for good drainage, that's why you're having a problem. Shavings tend to hold onto moisture from my experience. Sawdust would get even soggier. You need to mix in some CHUNKY wood materials, like the type a tree service would produce with a chipper, or buy some sort of undyed/untreated bark nuggets, coarse mulch, or even broken up branches - that'll provide the drainage that you're lacking.

A combo of pine shavings and dried leaves only doesn't allow for good drainage, that's why you're having a problem. Shavings tend to hold onto moisture from my experience. Sawdust would get even soggier. You need to mix in some CHUNKY wood materials, like the type a tree service would produce with a chipper, or buy some sort of undyed/untreated bark nuggets, coarse mulch, or even broken up branches - that'll provide the drainage that you're lacking.
Thanks! I'll look into that.

Wow! And obtw, I was wrong, the sand cost $114 for delivery of 13 tons. The $90 was the delivery fee. The sand cost less than $25 total.

ChocolateMouse, I’m in Pike County, 90 minutes south of Columbus. Can’t believe it’s that much cheaper here...
I can go pick up sand 20 mins from my house in my small pick up for $40, all I actually pay for is the labor and gas involved to put it on the bed of my Ranger.
As in Pike County GA? I live in Chambers County in AL. Get my sand from Opelika.

Last edited:
I can go pick up sand 20 mins from my house in my small pick up for $40, all I actually pay for is the labor and gas involved to put it on the bed of my Ranger.
As in Pike County GA? I live in Chambers County in AL. Get my sand from Opelika.

Nope, I’m in Pike County, Ohio, though lately, it’s sure felt like Georgia! Highs in the upper eighties and ninety percent humidity... Ugh.

A lot of good suggestions on here, but it's treating the symptoms not the actual issue. Seems the actual 'issue' is moisture. Sure you can endlessly dump fill and shavings to absorb moisture and keep on doing that for however long. You're not fixing anything, just doing a lot of extra work. You'll end up with a giant pile of wet nothingness and be out of some money. Re-evaluate your run design. Simple little things can make a world of difference (#tackyexpression). I would really consider putting a roof on your run and in high participation areas you can even include a water collection system for your flock. The clear PVC panels at the HD are around $12-14 depending on your area.

Back
Top Bottom