how to get chicken warm?

Another alternative, after you blow-dry her, would be to order some fertile eggs (or buy locally if possible) and let her sit on them in a little “broody coop” and run that you confine her to. Or if your feed stores have chicks available, sneak a couple three under her at night. You’re in NV. How long can it be cold there? Just be prepared if you give her eggs, to deal with any males she may hatch.

The frequency of the cycle varies greatly between mammals and avians. Some avians cycle is daily for lengthy periods, some only kick out one or two eggs a year.
Some mammals will produce eggs once a year or less while others like mice rats, rabbits, etc. produce much more frequently.
But it is still the same thing. It is the female of the species way of producing her gametes.
Timing is everything ;)
But still, birds don't menstruate.

Timing is everything ;)
But still, birds don't menstruate.
Semantics aside, they do. They just wrap it in a calcium casing.
https://www.nature.com/scitable/definition/gamete-gametes-311/
http://www.sfu.ca/biology/courses/bisc316/outlines/repbirdmammallect.html
production of ova starts before or shortly after birth. Frequency of release varies dramatically depending on species but whether they are egg layers or live bearers, it is virtually the same process and should be considered the same thing.
When I explained that to a class once, a student said, "no wonder roosters are so cranky".

Last edited:
I've even had hens go broody with no eggs present.
Yup, years ago, we had a bantam go broody on a golf ball. It was supposed to encourage her to lay her eggs in one place, instead of whatever little hidey-hole she found convenient. There was no breaking that broody, though, but we had no rooster, so we ended up giving her mallard duck eggs, instead. She hatched out eight of the little quackers. Have you ever seen a hen teach ducklings how to scratch for bugs? Or better , yet, how about the reaction when her "chicks" make a beeline for the baby pool? Now THAT was priceless! I now know exactly how an apoplectic chicken looks!

I
Which would be quite convenient.:gig
Granted reproductive systems are similar,
but I see... that you don't see... having not BTDT ;)
You would say that birds don't technically menstruate. I guess because there isn't release of blood but the process is the release of an ova from the ovary. The only mammals that lay eggs are echidna and platypus. So I guess even though they are mammals they don't technically menstruate because after they release the ova, it gets encased in albumen, membranes and shells. Just like a bird does.
Blood isn't released because the ova is encased in a shell. But it is still timed with release of ova.

Yup, years ago, we had a bantam go broody on a golf ball. It was supposed to encourage her to lay her eggs in one place, instead of whatever little hidey-hole she found convenient. There was no breaking that broody, though, but we had no rooster, so we ended up giving her mallard duck eggs, instead. She hatched out eight of the little quackers. Have you ever seen a hen teach ducklings how to scratch for bugs? Or better , yet, how about the reaction when her "chicks" make a beeline for the baby pool? Now THAT was priceless! I now know exactly how an apoplectic chicken looks!
Sitting on a golf ball, makes me wonder which hole she was playing on the course?
I'm usually done, and sit, after the 18th hole!:D

Back
Top Bottom