How to get chickens to eat turmeric

There's curcumin pills and chewables for cats and dogs (since it's for anti-inflammatory purposes, that's the main component of tumeric that's supposed to help). Since you're consulting with a vet, is there maybe one of those types of products that you could use instead, as it's easier to get a chicken to swallow a pill than eat a loose powder? Not sure what kind of dosage a chicken should have vs a larger animal.

The curcumin pills I have aren't too big, like Tylenol caplet size.

I might buy some capsules and make a paste with Turmeric, water and black pepper. Black pepper greatly increases absorption of the Turmeric. Then stuff it in a capsule, open her beak and pop it down her throat.
I would try CBD oil as well. Its highly affective in cases like this.

Since you're in consultation with a vet, I gave one of my pullets prescription, liquid, meloxicam (metacam) recently. I dripped it into her food dish, and the fact that it was something moving, got her attention and she lapped it right up. It's for arthritis, my chicken ate it very readily, and it got her relief from her hock injury.

Yeh I did that. She knows what it is from a mile away.
I've successfully fed my hens with turmeric paste when mixed with scratch grains. Have you tried that? BTW the hobbyfarms link to make turmeric paste is probably not the best way to do so. To enhance the potency of turmeric, try this method below which I have adapted from this publication (see link):

Turmeric Paste Recipe
=====================
The turmeric paste was prepared with freshly prepared turmeric powder, freshly ground black pepper, water and virgin olive oil at the ratio of 60g of turmeric: 2 cups of water:
1 to 2 teaspoon of black pepper:70mls of extra virgin olive oil, With this measurement, the mixture of turmeric and water were cooked for 10minutes. Olive oil and black pepper were
added at the end of the cooking. The golden paste was allowed to cool and appropriate dosages were calculated and given to the birds. Store in the fridge for 1 week.

I've successfully fed my hens with turmeric paste when mixed with scratch grains. Have you tried that? BTW the hobbyfarms link to make turmeric paste is probably not the best way to do so. To enhance the potency of turmeric, try this method below which I have adapted from this publication (see link):

Turmeric Paste Recipe
=====================
The turmeric paste was prepared with freshly prepared turmeric powder, freshly ground black pepper, water and virgin olive oil at the ratio of 60g of turmeric: 2 cups of water:
1 to 2 teaspoon of black pepper:70mls of extra virgin olive oil, With this measurement, the mixture of turmeric and water were cooked for 10minutes. Olive oil and black pepper were
added at the end of the cooking. The golden paste was allowed to cool and appropriate dosages were calculated and given to the birds. Store in the fridge for 1 week.
This is how I prepare Turmeric paste for my dogs, but I use Ghee instead. Thanks for linking that!

This is how I prepare Turmeric paste for my dogs, but I use Ghee instead.
oooo Ghee! Nasty!
:lol:

Thanks for linking that!
No probs! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom