how to get eggs to peel cleanly?

shellyga

Songster
9 Years
Oct 23, 2010
Milner
when I used to buy eggs from the store..
tongue.gif
I would add salt to the water to help make the boiled eggs easier to peel.. is there a trick to "farm fresh" eggs to make them easier.. they sure taste good but as so hard for me to peel.

Shelly

A veteran member had this method.

Boil water, may add vinegar or oil. Put the eggs in. Simmer 18 minutes. Plunge into a bowl of ice water. That does it for me.

I don't cook mine quite as long as seminolewind, but the ice water is key. You want to get the temp. change so the shell will separate easier.

Last edited:
I have IT! The perfect way! Finally after almost 50 years I can now peel FRESH from the hen eggs.

It takes equipment: This little plastic hen egg cooker. I am sure they make other varieties, but it holds 9 eggs and is electric

It takes the right egg: Very heavy shelled, dark, Marans eggs, or other dark eggs if you prefer

It takes ICE and a bowl of cold water

Buy the egg cooking hen, no idea where, my mom got mine off QVC in a shopping frenzy

Get some laying Marans, use the darkest eggs, but even the not so dark eggs work. It's the thick shells that make them peel easier, Wellies do good too.

Take your eggs, push a pin hole in the air sac end, place in hen and add water to top for most done, place egg rack in hen and put the top on

Plug her in and wait.

While waiting, get a bowl ice, cover it with water.

In about 10 minutes or so, she will squeal

Unplug her, take the egg tray and plunge into the cold iced water.

Once completely cold, they peel fairly easily.

If you use week or two old eggs, they peel perfectly.

Theory: dark shells are stronger, stay together easier.
The cooking hen keeps the eggs in the perfect position, air sac up, gives you a place to start peeling
The cold water shrinks the membranes away from the shell
They also cut in half well this way, as you don't have to stir them to keep the yellows in the middle, so no yolk only on one side eggs
It's easy, you'll not mind peeling eggs anymore.

I'll try to post a picture of her.

15071_img_7342.jpg

15071_img_7345.jpg

Okay: found her at Walmart, but not exactly the same. I had her several years before deciding to use her.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick-Harriett-Hen-Egg-Cooker-and-Steamer/17127925?findingMethod=rr

Last edited:
All I do is add salt to boiling water and lower the eggs in the boiling water. When boiling time is done, run cool water in pot over eggs for about a minute and then peel. Perfect peel every time.

Last edited:
I steam mine in a veggie basket instead of boiling them in water... then put them in cold water to cool down......they peel clean every time.!!!
celebrate.gif
~Charm1704

Back
Top Bottom