How to hold chickens?

werttyy

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Chicago
I'm scared of holding chickens and I'm even more scared to hold them upside down. Does holding a chicken upside down help? How do you regularly hold a chicken? Thanks for the help!

I do not hold my chickens upside down. I put a hand on each side of the body, over their wing and pick them up. Then I can move them into my arm like a football if I want. Some of my birds will step up onto my hand - when I place my hand in front of them and ask them to step up - makes it easy to carry them.

Chicks I cup in one hand if they are calm and in two if they are a bit wild.

I do the under the arm football hold too. I haven't ever held them by their legs and I don't think I would want to. Of course, they prefer it when I hold them on my lap with one hand stroking their back and the other hand holding a treat.

When I first started handling chickens, I too thought I might break them if I picked them up etc..... I have found out they are quite sturdy little affairs tho. I pick all mine up by holding both hands on either side of their bodies at the wings to keep them from flapping. Then do the football hold. If they struggle against you just hang on to em and as soon as they quiet down relax your hold and praise them. I will only grab a leg/tail if they get away from you, doing the above, just long enough to get them back in the crook of your arm. Most all chickens I have like to be held on their backs and have their chin/tummy/feet massaged. My roo goes to sleep and will just stay that way....

Football hold here as well. They are used to being picked up, so they are totally calm and seem quite content to be held like that.

I would start by just sitting down with some treats and get them (and you) used to close contact and how they behave. We raised ours from day olds, so as they grew I would let them sit in my lap and hangout. My Delaware is a bit of a pecker, especially if I have a scab or something, but I can tell by the look in her eye when she is going to go for something on me and I just say 'NO' and she backs off. You need to be confident and calm. I think they can sense if you're afraid or nervous.

I would never hold my chickens upside down. I hold mine football style, under my arm on my side. Some like it more than others, but I force them all to have a turn.
gig.gif

I hold them with both hands on their sides holding their wings in, and then I take my fingers and tuck their feet up close to their bodies. They instantly relax (I guess) because they can wrap their toes around by fingers almost like a roost.

I used to pick up chickens and hold them football style until my wife learned me different now. So now I pick them up both roosters and hens by placing my hand underneath their body so my thumb and pinky fingers are both around one leg. This does allow them to flap about if they are not used to being picked up but in this manner you can pick up two at a time, or just one while you inspect it all over: on the legs, pulling out one wing at a time, their vent etc, without having to jostle the chicken about too much. This also keeps you free from their spurs. As long as you keep a firm grip around their legs, they're not going anywhere.

EDIT
I do like the hen cam idea that would be easier for starters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom