How to house my bantam chickens with a crazy hen rooster xD

Bunbun0412

Songster
Dec 18, 2020
Hi! I have recently bought some bantam chicks (3 silkies, 2 D'uccles, and 3 bantam Brahmas) I was wondering how to house them when they are older if my standard size chickens were free roaming and we only have one big coop and the bossy rooster hen (our hen that is a lot more like a rooster) is having trouble excepting our 4 month old Wyandottes and I am worried about the bantams not being okay. Also I don't think Silkies can be free roamed and I am not sure about the others. I just need advice on what to do please! Thank you!

While some flock owners have had success with mixed flocks, and it totally depends on your birds, personally I'd recommend another coop for the smaller bantams, especially the Silkies.

I tried free ranging my standard flock with bantams, and the poor bantams always got overly hazed and picked on, especially the Silkies with their fluffy poms and waddling more than running. My standard rooster was simply too harsh on my bantams, though he was gentleman enough on the big girls.

I eventually gave up and simply permanently installed the Silkies and bantam Cochins into the brooding coop/run, which they preferred anyway.

But then I know of several situations where a bantam rooster ruled the whole flock of standard girls. So it depends.

My experience.
LofMc

Last edited:
While some flock owners have had success with mixed flocks, and it totally depends on your birds, personally I'd recommend another coop for the smaller bantams, especially the Silkies.

I tried free ranging my standard flock with bantams, and the poor bantams always got overly hazed and picked on, especially the Silkies with their fluffy poms and waddling more than running. My standard rooster was simply too harsh on my bantams, though he was gentleman enough on the big girls.

I eventually gave up and simply permanently installed the Silkies and bantam Cochins into the brooding coop/run, which they preferred anyway.

But then I know of several situations where a bantam rooster ruled the whole flock of standard girls. So it depends.

My experience.
LofMc
Thank you so much for your input! I will keep this in mind as my silkies grow up and out of the house!

I have 8bantam roosters in charge of my big girls but they have grown up together I would not recommend putting silkies in with an established flock they are too docile and will not defend themselves

Back
Top Bottom