How to incorporate greens in diet?

jramirez

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
My chickens are in a 3 sided coop. There is no longer grass and not sure how many bugs venture in! I feed them layer feed and every now and then mix in some corn, sunflower seed etc mix. I want to achieve the deep golden yolk but how can I do this?

I think greens are very important for the health of the flock and quality of the eggs. My family eats alot of kale, spinach, field greens, romaine and I can get big bags of kale at the supermarket now. My chickens get a big handful of greens in the morning every day, either fresh or leftover from our meals. I also feed them a variety of the yellow/orange veggies - pumpkin, acorn squash, butternut squash, carrots, etc., again either fresh or left over from our meals. They go through a cabbage a week, hung in their run to keep them busy. It's so much fun to watch them jumping up to peck at it and they eat it down to the core. I only have seven chickens at the moment. Out of five pullets, we have four laying as of yesterday and the eggs are beautiful, hard shells and really bright golden yolks.

We give kitchen scraps, I buy all the discount produce I can see for them. Last year I struck up a deal with the local produce stand and they would give me all their "bad" produce. I'd just dump it in and they'd go to town.

Back
Top Bottom