how to integrate geese and ducks? (and a turkey)

sharnells

Hatching
Aug 31, 2017
Hi all, im brand new here, so hoping a dont sound like an idiot,
I brought a whole lot of animals from a lady that was moving from the country.
I now have 5 muscovy ducks, 1 turkey male, and 2 geese. (they all living happily together)
now i have gotten my lovely geese a gander. and he is penned with the girls for the last 3 days. (penned inside the big pen where the muscovys and turkey are) they can all see each other.
im just wondering how do i intergrate him into the flock? (as smoothly as possible)
( all of them are quiet, pets, and the gander is too. but is hissing at the drakes )

is it like chickens where i should let them out at night? or is that totally wrong.
any help is greatly appricated.

Let them live side by side till weekend then do you ever let your flock forage out of their pen? If you do then come the weekend try letting them all out on neutral ground there maybe some pushing and shoving but hopefully that will be all. What age are your Muscovy and are there drakes? asking because this is how it is here. Usually in late winter breeding season starts for my 2 geese so my gander is full of testosterone and he will pick and bully my Muscovy drake then when spring arrives my Muscovy drake is full of hormones and fighting will break out between the 2. I usually have to break it up it can get pretty bad. Some times I have to keep them separate. Now breeding season is over for the geese in June and my Muscovy is the head dude around here and if he gets the chance will grab my gander or just keep him chased off not far just out of his sight. So depending on ages will have a lot to do with how they all
behave. Soon the Muscovy's will go into molt stop laying and stop breeding it's the time of year I enjoy because they all give me a rest. lol until it's starts again next year.

Welcome to BYC and to the joy of having birds. Not sure where your turkey will fit into the scheme of things since you don't mention having a hen turkey probably once sexually mature your turkey will want to mate with your females but don't worry nothing can come of it other than he may get beat up from the other males.

thanks for the reply.
my drakes are a year old as is the gander.
its a bit confusing with the seasons here. (as i am in Australia) today is the start of spring. so yes mating season. :/
my turkey boy had a girl. but she died. we are looking for a hen or two for him. but we only have one holding pen (within the big pen) so once gander and girls are out and about i can get Mr Tiggle (the turkey) another Mrs Tiggle.
OK so i can let them all out to free range straight away. (they all would love that) and hopefully all is well. how long should i have the geese and gander locked up together to bond. they have been in there for 4 days. (im thinking it should be ok today) i dont work for the next three days so hoping i can merge them altogether now. while i can watch them.

thanks so much for your help.

Is you place fenced? it will make it easier to get them back in they herd really well.

Okay well you may have some problems maybe not just take it as it comes. My Muscovy drake loves to fight when he has the upper hand it's funny because Sam my gander is the head one during late winter thru April then My Muscovy takes his turn. They have half acre fenced to stay out of each others way so at least they aren't constantly at each other.

How are your females and gander acting towards each other? My gander had been raised by and with Muscovy's and he was 5 yrs old when I brought home a female goose so it took him a while to bond with her he preferred the ducks.

good news Miss Lydia,
i let them out of thier pen, let the ducks go down to the dam, and then let out the geese. they are all swimming happily, then they all sat up on the bank and laid down. went really smoothly. maybe because my ducks are used to the geese? or other way around. all hand reared so that may have helped. the turkey just came up to the house for a feed. so keeping an eye on them today. might be differnt this afternoon when they go back into their pen.
oh yes my paddocks are all penned with goat fencing. was an interesting morning having goats, alpacas and the ducks and geese all together. was lovely to watch.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom