How to keep single chick alive until I can get company??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HandfulOfHope, Sep 2, 2014.

1. HandfulOfHope

HandfulOfHope New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Only 2 of our hatch survived- and one if them died last night.
    So now I have a week old single baby chick who I know needs company to survive, but I can't get a hold of any chicks until much later today which will mean the chick will be 12 hours on its own...
    Does anyone have any suggestions if what I can do to help the little one make it through the alone time?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated- I'm feeling terrible about the whole business at this point.
    Thanks in advance!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm sure you have the chick in a warm brooder with starter feed and water. Put a mirror in the brooder so that she can look at herself, she'll think there's another chick with her.

3. HandfulOfHope

HandfulOfHope New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Thank you!
    I have done that... He/she just seems so bewildered and weak- although it has been eating and drinking.
    I put my other pullets that still have 'baby voices' in the same room next to the brooder.
    Is there anything else I can do? What are the chances of the chick making it 12 hours without real
    company?

4. AV8RChick

AV8RChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Lake Wylie, SC
    I put a small stuffed animal in with my singleton till I could find her a friend. She snuggled right up to it and fell asleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by