Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
Hey yall!

So I am the proud owner of a lovely trio of Narragansett Turkey's. They are about a year old. I live on about an acre of land in the middle of a neighborhood in the middle of a giant city. There is about half an acre fenced off for my poultry to run around on, and I have 11 chickens and 4 ducks.

I've had them for a couple months, and only just started letting them out to free range with the other birds. For the first few days they were fine, staying in the yard. Then one got out, and I got her back in really quick. Immediately clipped one wing on each bird. Yesterday, both hens got out, and a neighbor told us they are out. We went up the street and found them heading steadily AWAY from our property, toward a more busy street and an apartment complex full of people.

Even when the chickens get out, they never go that far!

45 minutes later we managed to corner the crazy birds in our neighbor's yard (thankfully he is a very kind old gentleman who was very amused at us running around trying to catch the "wild" turkeys).

None of our immediate neighbors have a problem with my animals getting into their yard, but i am worried the girls won't ever come back. I heard a few stories of people just loosing their flock of turkeys too the woods. Is this a common occurrence? Will they just abandon the tom and coop and never be seen again?

A few things to mention: We have a solid 5 foot fence around the perimeter. They live in a 12x6 covered run/tractor/coop thing. They are the most unmotivated with food of any poultry I have ever had. Unfortunately, the previous owners said they were really friendly when I asked, but the turkey's are quite wild. The tom seems to be much more chill, but all will run from me and are vary wary. A bit unfortunate considering I really like my birds to be friendly.

SO how do yall keep turkeys in? Is it a lost cause? Will I have to keep them locked up all the time? Are these just any turkey problem, or is it because mine are nervous around people and very flighty?

Also, you think I could ever get these guys to be really friendly with me? Or is that a lost cause too, lol.

Anyways, thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice yall might have!

Have a nice day!

Hey yall!

So I am the proud owner of a lovely trio of Narragansett Turkey's. They are about a year old. I live on about an acre of land in the middle of a neighborhood in the middle of a giant city. There is about half an acre fenced off for my poultry to run around on, and I have 11 chickens and 4 ducks.

I've had them for a couple months, and only just started letting them out to free range with the other birds. For the first few days they were fine, staying in the yard. Then one got out, and I got her back in really quick. Immediately clipped one wing on each bird. Yesterday, both hens got out, and a neighbor told us they are out. We went up the street and found them heading steadily AWAY from our property, toward a more busy street and an apartment complex full of people.

Even when the chickens get out, they never go that far!

45 minutes later we managed to corner the crazy birds in our neighbor's yard (thankfully he is a very kind old gentleman who was very amused at us running around trying to catch the "wild" turkeys).

None of our immediate neighbors have a problem with my animals getting into their yard, but i am worried the girls won't ever come back. I heard a few stories of people just loosing their flock of turkeys too the woods. Is this a common occurrence? Will they just abandon the tom and coop and never be seen again?

A few things to mention: We have a solid 5 foot fence around the perimeter. They live in a 12x6 covered run/tractor/coop thing. They are the most unmotivated with food of any poultry I have ever had. Unfortunately, the previous owners said they were really friendly when I asked, but the turkey's are quite wild. The tom seems to be much more chill, but all will run from me and are vary wary. A bit unfortunate considering I really like my birds to be friendly.

SO how do yall keep turkeys in? Is it a lost cause? Will I have to keep them locked up all the time? Are these just any turkey problem, or is it because mine are nervous around people and very flighty?

Also, you think I could ever get these guys to be really friendly with me? Or is that a lost cause too, lol.

Anyways, thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice yall might have!

Have a nice day!
Your perimeter fence is the problem. The turkeys view it as a desirable perch. Once they are perched on the fence, they will invariably get down on the wrong side of the fence.

I let my turkeys roam and approximate 2 acre site that is fenced in with 2'x4"x6' welded wire fence. There is no top rail or bar making the top of the fence not suitable as a perch.

Clipping your turkey's wings is not going to affect them getting up on top of a 6' fence. They can easily jump that high.

You can tame your turkeys. It requires that you spend lots of time with them. It can often work better to spend time with the individuals rather than as a group.

@memphis has "lapper" turkeys that she trained to be "lappers" after they were adults.

Your perimeter fence is the problem. The turkeys view it as a desirable perch. Once they are perched on the fence, they will invariably get down on the wrong side of the fence.

I let my turkeys roam and approximate 2 acre site that is fenced in with 2'x4"x6' welded wire fence. There is no top rail or bar making the top of the fence not suitable as a perch.

Clipping your turkey's wings is not going to affect them getting up on top of a 6' fence. They can easily jump that high.

You can tame your turkeys. It requires that you spend lots of time with them. It can often work better to spend time with the individuals rather than as a group.

@memphis has "lapper" turkeys that she trained to be "lappers" after they were adults.

Thanks for the input!! That makes sense...the chickens sometimes think its a great perch too, but again, It doesn't concern me like with the turkeys!

Do you think running a short wire fence along the top would stop them from getting up there? Cause I would be kinda wobbly and unstable.

Ahh, that makes sense getting them separated to tame them. I was spending a bunch of time sitting in the coop with all three, but I will try to separate them with me everyday...maybe when I feed them in the morning. Try to find some treats they like for our "special" time, lol!

Thanks again for the input! Much appreciated!

It takes time & patience to get your birds to be lappers. Don't push them. Feed them a few treats. Earn their trust. Good luck!!

For sure! Thanks for the positive response! I'm gonna get to work earning their trust. I'd love to have a lapper, lol. I love that name.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom