How to manage a Rooster and be the boss?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
How do I manage my young 5 month old brahma rooster and show him I’m the boss? He is the only rooster of my small 7 hen flock. He is generally easy going and I can handle him and pick him up and hold him. I really like him. Recently, he started mating with the at least one pullet that I’ve seen. He also recently started dancing around me and using his side body to shuffle at me. Couple of times he pecked at me. Nothing too aggressive but I don’t want it to get worse and need to nip in bud now. I’ve heard of two tips regarding asserting your dominance so the rooster knows you are the top boss. First, one tip suggests to hold the rooster down (firmly but not to hurt him) and put his head down using your index and middle fingers to make a v shape to hold his head down. This supposedly mimics what alpha roosters do to other roosters. Secondly, the next tip reports to never allow your rooster to mate with the hens in front of you.

I’ve tried the first tip tonight and it went well and will see in the next few days if that changed any behavior.

What do you think about this idea of never allowing your rooster to mate in front of you if your top boss?

Also, do you think any of this will help manage and tame a rooster so that you can have a gentle guy instead of a lunatic. I think it’s also important to note that I constantly pick up my Roo and hold him. I want him to be accustomed to that. He is a good boy but with the hormones flowing and him maturing I want to be ahead of the game and do what I can to help keep him friendly with me and the family.

My Marans rooster would jump at my hand and walk sideways toward me as a teenager and I thought he would grow up to be really aggressive. One time when he was acting slightly aggressive, I held him down and pushed his head into the dirt and held him there for about a minute. He is full grown now and is really big but not aggressive at all! I dont know if holding him down once had something to do with it but he is a really good boy now he is almost a year old and really pretty!

Thanks I will read this! Being proactive even if I do have a more Friendly rooster because he needs to be kid friendly too
Just one thing, a 'friendly' cockerel can be the worst.
At that age, I like my cockerels to have a healthy respect for me, and mostly keep out of my way.
Then, when they are older and don't have raging hormones any more, I will gain their trust and get them to relax with me.

At that age, I like my cockerels to have a healthy respect for me, and mostly keep out of my way.
Then, when they are older and don't have raging hormones any more, I will gain their trust and get them to relax with me.
That seems like a pretty good idea. I think they are naturally more skittish at that age anyway.

I recently found a very good post on this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aggressive-rooster.1149551/page-2#post-17976693
I don't know if it would help, but it might give you a few ideas anyway.
Our silkie rooster seems to have realized his power recently but, when I am around to hear the commotion I quickly stop the process. Mostly because he has done plenty of his business overnight and early am according to my incubator full of viable eggs. So either separation which makes the "Cockrell "grow fonder, or monitored daytime. I'm not sure what is best without removing him completely. He's less noisy in accompanying his ladies...

Interesting! Thank you! I just read the thread and I appreciate you sending it to me. Very different take/info that I can apply. Thanks!

My Marans rooster would jump at my hand and walk sideways toward me as a teenager and I thought he would grow up to be really aggressive. One time when he was acting slightly aggressive, I held him down and pushed his head into the dirt and held him there for about a minute. He is full grown now and is really big but not aggressive at all! I dont know if holding him down once had something to do with it but he is a really good boy now he is almost a year old and really pretty!
I’m glad it worked out for you!

Back
Top Bottom