How to manage a Rooster and be the boss?

If he misbehaves and you give him a swat or the boot he will know exactly what you mean.
Ok! I’m not afraid to boot him if necessary. I’m the top boss. I think my problem is I just want him to be my friend …. But he’s a chicken! Worse… A rooster, Oh, well! I got into this for enjoyment and I think he’s a good boy but I also think he could turn if i do the right thing or not because I guess this is common with roosters. It’s very frustrating to love chickens.

Personally I think that when you hold him or he sits on your lap, you are taking the submissive position. It might be you really have not seen a rooster in a mature flock. The hens adore him. They groom him, pet him and are delighted with him being the top dog. People tend to see that as being friendly. Chickens see it as being submissive.

This will either settle or go wrong. And to be honest, not much will depend on how you do it now. Now is rather too late in my book. He is not afraid of you, does not give you space, you see that as a good thing, he sees that as being the boss.

People really don't have that much influence unless you are living in the coop. A few moments in the morning and afternoon, really are not much time. Other birds have a better influence, and older birds often do teach proper society. I think you do get a better rooster with them.

But as for this, do report back how it works...but do have a plan B, one that is at hand, set up and ready to go. Sometimes the attack comes out of nowhere. IF YOU HAVE children - get rid of him.

MRs K

Personally I think that when you hold him or he sits on your lap, you are taking the submissive position. It might be you really have not seen a rooster in a mature flock. The hens adore him. They groom him, pet him and are delighted with him being the top dog. People tend to see that as being friendly. Chickens see it as being submissive.

This will either settle or go wrong. And to be honest, not much will depend on how you do it now. Now is rather too late in my book. He is not afraid of you, does not give you space, you see that as a good thing, he sees that as being the boss.

People really don't have that much influence unless you are living in the coop. A few moments in the morning and afternoon, really are not much time. Other birds have a better influence, and older birds often do teach proper society. I think you do get a better rooster with them.

But as for this, do report back how it works...but do have a plan B, one that is at hand, set up and ready to go. Sometimes the attack comes out of nowhere. IF YOU HAVE children - get rid of him.

MRs K
You’re always a voice of reason. We decided today to bring him to a rooster sanctuary. He goes in the morning. Very interesting what you say about the petting and picking up… I thought I was helping but I do see your point there. Very hard.

Ok! I’m not afraid to boot him if necessary. I’m the top boss. I think my problem is I just want him to be my friend …. But he’s a chicken! Worse… A rooster, Oh, well! I got into this for enjoyment and I think he’s a good boy but I also think he could turn if i do the right thing or not because I guess this is common with roosters. It’s very frustrating to love chickens.
I absolutely agree with you - its hard--my RIR is gorgeous and very good to his 6 hens but I had to learn a hard lesson- as much as I wanted him to like me-he is ultimately an animal. He flogged me a couple ot times (stealth-like) and now that he is almost a year old he has grown some impressive spurs. Ive had him since he was 5 months old and for the most part he's been good but b/c of those times he got me I dont trust him...I think he knows. I now walk around with a stick and make sure he stays 4 feet or so from me. I hope he doesnt attempt it again b/c he could find himself in my slow-cooker and I dont like to think about it but chickens have taught me some realities I have to face. I really didnt want a rooster but we are raising chicks now. God help me😮

I absolutely agree with you - its hard--my RIR is gorgeous and very good to his 6 hens but I had to learn a hard lesson- as much as I wanted him to like me-he is ultimately an animal. He flogged me a couple ot times (stealth-like) and now that he is almost a year old he has grown some impressive spurs. Ive had him since he was 5 months old and for the most part he's been good but b/c of those times he got me I dont trust him...I think he knows. I now walk around with a stick and make sure he stays 4 feet or so from me. I hope he doesnt attempt it again b/c he could find himself in my slow-cooker and I dont like to think about it but chickens have taught me some realities I have to face. I really didnt want a rooster but we are raising chicks now. God help me😮
Thanks for your message. I’m curious what realities chickens have taught you? I’m fascinated please tell me more. And I would agree!

MRs K
Reread this and it brought me more comfort the second time. Thank you for being compassionate and straight with me. My rooster is doing well at the sanctuary and perhaps in 10 years when my children are grown I can take another chance on a roo.

I think maintaining a respect between me and my roosters is important. They should not run at the sight of me. Mine actually come running and food call to their hens. When they see me walking across the yard with the scrap bucket. I want them to move calmly away from me and maintain a respectful distance when I move towards them. In return, I don’t pick them up. To make them appear weak in front of their flock. Everyone has different standards and methods that work for them. This is what works for me. After helping my parents during my childhood, then raising my own chickens. Which will number well into the thousands. (including hundreds of roosters) over the past 50 plus years. I can count on one hand the number of human aggressive roosters I have had. I find it baffling, how many post I see about human aggressive roosters.

I think maintaining a respect between me and my roosters is important. They should not run at the sight of me. Mine actually come running and food call to their hens. When they see me walking across the yard with the scrap bucket. I want them to move calmly away from me and maintain a respectful distance when I move towards them. In return, I don’t pick them up. To make them appear weak in front of their flock. Everyone has different standards and methods that work for them. This is what works for me. After helping my parents during my childhood, then raising my own chickens. Which will number well into the thousands. (including hundreds of roosters) over the past 50 plus years. I can count on one hand the number of human aggressive roosters I have had. I find it baffling, how many post I see about human aggressive roosters.
Your experience is valuable. Thank you for sharing. I was under the impression that rooster aggression and displays of dominance are commonplace. I appreciate hearing your take. Glad to hear it! Why do you think you’ve had so few human aggressive roosters? What do you attribute it to? Perhaps, your breeding program and care? Thank you for sharing. I’m sad that mine started pecking at my kid and a top hen. He was a cool dude. I thought handling and picking him up would help. Couldn’t risk escalation with my kid otherwise I would have stuck it out. Again, thanks for commenting!

@ Browniethechicken - you don't have to wait until they are grown 10 years, unless they are infants now? Once a child gets to be 7+ he/she is tall enough not to take an attack in the face, and generally have enough weight not to knocked down.

But if it is hard for you to cull a rooster, just an all hen flock is nice too.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom