How to Move with Chickens?!

Aug 19, 2019
Statesboro, GA, USA
Yay! We just purchased 5 acres to get more chickens! But... How do I get them there and set up a coop in one day?! :confused:

We know we're closing on our current home the same day we're closing on our new home, so I have to pack up my chickens, coop, and the entire house and be out in one day.

Current plan: rent a huge uHaul for human things and have it packed the night before. Use my dad's flatbed trailer for chicken things, including my cute coop and fencing. Chickens will travel in style in the back of my SUV with a tarp laid over back complete with straw and some sort of barrier between me and the back seat. We're only moving 45 minutes down the road, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

There is a garage on the property for me to keep them in until I get them set up, but my husband will not be happy about it. :lol:

Does anyone have any tips/ tricks/ advice/ lessons learned on moving with chickens, from transporting to spending the first night in a new place? :D

Set up everything before the chickens arrive.
That's the main issue, I can't set it up before they arrive. I have 8 with more chicks on the way already. I have to completely empty out my current property for the new owners, go sign the closing papers for current and new property, and only then am I allowed to go to the new place.

Don’t let them free range until their homed.
Yeah, definitely no free ranging until I know what the predator situation is! :oops:

If you have time to look for dog/cat carriers at thrift stores they work well. pre pack everything you’re able to. Seeing as it’s not a long drive it’s often safer if There’s not too much room for them to move about. Fold the tarp up the sides of the back if you can to create a little tub. They can get pretty liquid poops in transit!

Expect to keep them in the garage for the first day or two while you set up as quickly as possible, concentrate on getting it up and secure, even if it’s not full sized. This is where the straw or shavings would be best used.

If you have time to look for dog/cat carriers at thrift stores they work well. pre pack everything you’re able to. Seeing as it’s not a long drive it’s often safer if There’s not too much room for them to move about. Fold the tarp up the sides of the back if you can to create a little tub. They can get pretty liquid poops in transit!

Thank you! I plan on trying to get everything packed up the night before so that just the coop and chickens are left to load up before we go. I love the tarp and crate idea!

Big dog crates, or a shed, or some closed coop arrangement. Move them in big dog crates, not loose in a vehicle! You will have a mess, and escapees, who will be lost souls out there.
Is your coop large enough for eighteen birds? If not, it's time to set up something larger anyway.
Ask for permission to move something to the new place before signing, or to leave birds at the old place for another day. Somebody might be reasonable about it if you explain the situation.
Enjoy your new place!
Moving can be hell, good luck!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom