How To Raise A Rooster

My roo started standing back while the girls eat meal worms from my hand. I felt a little sad at first but then I read that it was rooster behavior. He's an impressive fellow, tall stance. He hasn't crowed yet. I will do anything I can to help him remain friendly because I don't want to give him up. It's nice to know you handle yours. I wish I could free range them but I can't. The means I have to carry him to the cattle panel run. That's the closest to free range I can get. I suppose time will tell. I don't try to force attention on him. I hope I'm doing the right things for him.

I had a rooster

(well really a cockerel) try to attack me last night. I bet he will be tender, even though he is just 13 weeks old, he is no longer with us.
I never put up with such behavior in any animal. I am the Alpha male! No ifs ands or buts about it! Me, and only me rule this roost.
He is the one I was looking at to be the main rooster for my Red Sex Link hens. I guess it's time to look for a replacement!

So I don't need to worry about flogging with spurs until mine is a year old then. I think I like the idea of removing it since I have no intention of getting hurt by them!
I have a 14 week old lakenvelder and his spurs are more then 1/2" already. Each breed grows them at different rates. Hens do have the nub, but most do not develop any further. You should be able to see then about 1/2" up on the inside of the foot by the time they are a few weeks old.

My young rooster attacked my little dog. She just laid down. I was in stocking feet and I ran over and kicked him. He does seem scared of me and didn't try to attack me. I thunk he may be lumping a little and I hope it wasn't me. I feel bad now but little lap dog is a family member like a child, it was just instinct. Im sure he is ok, and maybe one of the hens got him. He has no visible injuries and is eating and trying to hang out with the girls. Spurs still very small and he hasn't started to crow. He would attack every time and peck my sandaled feet or bare feet. I am feeling bad but don't want to be afraid of my backyard. I can't lock him in enclosure or my he's wouldn't be able to ge in coop and lay. Maybe this will be a change for respect from Holmes the terrible. :)

I have a 14 week old lakenvelder and his spurs are more then 1/2" already. Each breed grows them at different rates. Hens do have the nub, but most do not develop any further. You should be able to see then about 1/2" up on the inside of the foot by the time they are a few weeks old.

Cool im going out to check now!

Back
Top Bottom