How to sex coturnix quail easily

thongjy

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 1, 2017
My male and female quail have a very distinct feature to show and tell the difference.

See my video below:

Subscribe and like the video.

My male and female quail have a very distinct feature to show and tell the difference.

See my video below:

Subscribe and like the video.
Hi I’m new to this is this a boy? My others have very visible spots on the chest. Hatch date was September 10th. ( same day we where hit by Irma here in sw Florida) they just started laying eggs but not sure if they could be fertile. This was a really bad first ever hatch for us due to timing and we would like to add to the flock now that we are building their 12x16x6 foot high enclosure

Attachments

• 049DCD8F-F473-4566-B863-FEE1806AFEC9.jpeg
    049DCD8F-F473-4566-B863-FEE1806AFEC9.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 46
If they are laying and males are active. Try a vent sex method.

Hold quail upside down. Put thumb by base of tail and rump push gently towards back. If it is an active male. Foam will come out.

Not all are sexable by color. That one I'm not sure on.

Hi I’m new to this is this a boy? My others have very visible spots on the chest. Hatch date was September 10th. ( same day we where hit by Irma here in sw Florida) they just started laying eggs but not sure if they could be fertile. This was a really bad first ever hatch for us due to timing and we would like to add to the flock now that we are building their 12x16x6 foot high enclosure

I'm going to guess it's a girl because it's got the black markings on the head. All my gold boys have brown there, and my girls have black. If the girls are laying then you'd hear a male crowing (as they must be getting enough daylight for him to be mature too). Unless the male is crowing he won't be "active".

Well got curious and cracked 2 eggs ( only got 6 in 3 days)
One of the 2 was fertile the one on the green plate

Attachments

• B0B586A9-D731-4B1E-8030-BAC74CB94ACA.jpeg
    B0B586A9-D731-4B1E-8030-BAC74CB94ACA.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 43

Back
Top Bottom