How to soften fowlpox scabs

mairivc

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Hello again,

My little chicken is still hanging in there. After surviving fowlpox, most scabs have fallen off but she still carries these 2 pesky ones on her beak. I think they have weakened her beak because recently the front part of the upper beak fell off. Yikes!!! I'm worried that the rest will fall off as well. Does anyone know what I can use to soften these scabs so that they can fall off??
Thank you!

20210407_105321.jpg

It is usually best to not disturb fowl pox scabs, and the fallen scabs can become powdery and spread the virus when inhaled by other chickens. But if these are a real problem, coconut oil or vaseline may soften them. Neoporin or other ointments have a base of vaseline.

It is usually best to not disturb fowl pox scabs, and the fallen scabs can become powdery and spread the virus when inhaled by other chickens. But if these are a real problem, coconut oil or vaseline may soften them. Neoporin or other ointments have a base of vaseline.
Perfect. Thank you! I don't have other chickens. I rescued this one after a hawk dropped her in the yard in February.

Back
Top Bottom