How to stop our hen from hopping the fence

Pics

Swiftbow

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
So... a couple months ago, after we lost a hen, we got two new pullets and an older hen to introduce to our last bird. They've gotten accustomed to each other at this point, but our first hen was a little show-offy at first, jumping up onto several spots she'd never jumped onto before and more or less crowing her displeasure at the situation.

One of the things she jumped onto was our side gate, and shortly after, she realized that a whole new world of scratchable things exists in our driveway.

Since then, we've tried a whole bunch of different things to dissuade her, including adding some vertical, triangular topped posts to the gate at regular intervals to keep her from landing, putting a coiled wire on the gate, slotting in a sun visor, and hanging up pinwheels and an umbrella.

The sun visor worked, but it's not a very good long-term solution, especially once we get snow or high wind. The biggest problem, of course, is that the gate is only about 3 feet high. We've hoped that keeping her from the driveway for a few days would put it out of her mind, but every time it becomes possible again, she inevitably hops on over once or twice a day.

She's not particularly difficult to round up (she's a very friendly bird), but I'm quite concerned about loose dogs. Any thoughts? I'm not greatly inclined toward wing clipping (since they free range so much), and I don't think the gate is tall enough for that to be effective anyway.

Thanks!

IMGP8770.JPG
Okay, here's what we've got at the moment (will see if it works after a couple of days).
The wire on top is chicken wire, so it gives a lot with a landing.

I put 7' bird netting around the garden, attached with zip ties to 8' tall 2x2s attached to the 30" high posts put up by the prior owner (chicken wire along the bottom to keep rabbits out). Sadly the netting didn't last the winter. Too much wind just ripped it off, I expect because the plastic mesh is super thin and weak. Plus, the south side got ripped earlier in the summer. I think a deer went through it based on the height of damage to the beans and cucumbers. I replaced it with 4' chicken wire this year, no evidence of chickens nor deer in the garden this year.

Hi @bruceha2000 Nice to hear from you! We tried rolls of bird netting from Lowe's hardware and I agree the stuff does tear easily. I tried something different this year to protect our young garden beds from moths, wild birds, and chickens -- extra fine/ultra-wide bridal tulle from JoAnn's Fabrics.

When the garden beds were young with newly planted seedlings we covered them with tulle and securely clipped them to the tomato cages.
DSCN7952.JPG

Horrible 100 mph Santa Ana wind gusts tore up our canopy cover but the bridal tulle netting covering the garden beds wasn't damaged at all.
DSCN7954.JPG

After the garden beds started growing tall and strong we removed the tulle netting -- strongest netting I've ever used for garden bed covers and I've had no tomato worms from moths or nasty June bug nests this year. The bridal tulle net was in good enough shape to roll up for use for next year's garden. I was never able to save the cheap bird netting from the hardware store which turned brittle in the sun and tore holes easily.
DSCN8156.JPG

Chicken poultry hexwire has its uses but I found it too flimsy for our purpose. The longest lasting roll of fencing so far for us has been the plastic-coated 28-inch rabbit fencing -- there are 24-inch rolls of rabbit fencing but we like the taller 28-inch rolls better.

What is that shelf for....can you remove it?

Here's an idea, kinda rough but might work... take a piece of chicken wire a couple of feet tall and long enough to cover both the posts(blue lines). Z-fold vertically first then fold over edges to make it stiff enough to stand up(red lines). Attach it to the side it opens to(green dots).

I'ts ugly but should keep her from using gate to land on and wire addition is too floppy to land on the top edge. But really your whole fence is probably going to need to be higher to keep them in.

upload_2017-9-16_7-10-24.png

That wire idea is pretty close to an idea my brother had. Probably gonna give that a go.

I just put in the shelf, actually. It was meant for us to be able to set stuff down while we go from car to house and vice versa. It can came off, but I'd rather not. I was hoping she wouldn't want to land on it, since it's smooth and she wouldn't be able to grip on a landing. No luck on that, though, as we've seen her use it.

I will never understand how some can keep chickens in such a short fence. Mine easily try to jump and fly 4-5 feet even with thier wing clipped... one of our friends had a 3 foot fence doesn't clip thier wings and the hens just stay in the fence... my brain can't wrap around that. Mine would be over that gate and fence in a heartbeat, no questions asked

Back
Top Bottom