How to tell a successful re-introduction back in the flock?

awaters

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2023
Hello all,

I am trying to determine if this behavior is common or problematic. I had a hen out of the flock for two days and reintroduced her tonight via free range (my vets instructions said she was okay to go back). Currently they are roosting in their coop. But there was an instance when the rooster pulled some of her neck feathers. Before the isolation he would try to mount her and she was not having it so it could be regular behavior between the two (both are 5 months so I think she's just not quite ready to lay). They are currently civil and roosting next to each other but what happens when the sun rises? How can you tell when you've reincorporated too early?

Hello all,

I am trying to determine if this behavior is common or problematic. I had a hen out of the flock for two days and reintroduced her tonight via free range (my vets instructions said she was okay to go back). Currently they are roosting in their coop. But there was an instance when the rooster pulled some of her neck feathers. Before the isolation he would try to mount her and she was not having it so it could be regular behavior between the two (both are 5 months so I think she's just not quite ready to lay). They are currently civil and roosting next to each other but what happens when the sun rises? How can you tell when you've reincorporated too early?
That sounds like mating behavior. If the other hens start attacking her at all or if the rooster starts being aggressive with her she probably needs to be separated.

Back
Top Bottom