how to tell egg layers from non-egg layers(PC)

paul porter

In the Brooder
Dec 25, 2019
I have changed my birds from reds to Sussex (got them march1), I thought I had the hens and the roosters separated, only need two roosters. I have two roosters with tail feathers and comb and a butch with comb but no tail feathers and a few with no comb no tail feathers. I know what group 1 and 3 the pic below is what i want to know about.
IMG_20231009_125140048.jpg
IMG_20231009_125147386.jpg

What exactly do you want to know?

Picture #1 shows a female

Picture # 1 shows two females on the left and one male on the right more in front.

Or did you mean how to determine which of the hens are laying?

And welcome to BYC! :frow

Thank you everyone, your input has been helpful, their 8 months old and not getting a very good egg count, got 20 birds only get 6 eggs each day, was I spoiled will the reds and their egg count?

Thank you everyone, your input has been helpful, their 8 months old and not getting a very good egg count, got 20 birds only get 6 eggs each day, was I spoiled will the reds and their egg count?
As the days are getting shorter, many breeds will lay less eggs.

And as far as I know Speckled Sussex are just average layers.

What exactly are you feeding? What is the protein percentage?

First picture looks like female, second picture foreground looks male.

I'm judging based on the shape of the feathers behind the wing and ahead of the tail. Called saddle feathers.

Boys are pointed girls are rounded.

A better picture of the hackle and saddle feathers for the top picture would be great. The second picture looks like two pullets and a cockerel

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
This is the second time Mcmurry has done this to me, they do not sex out the chicks, they just ship everything, so out of 25 birds i got 15 roosters. but most do not have tail feathers but they have saddle bag and comb. Feed is from Atwood's. I believe 15%

Back
Top Bottom