How to tell the age of a chicken at a market auction?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hello BYC Forum,
Recently I started supplying cockerels to an ethnic restaurant, but can't keep up with the demand. They asked if I could get them more, which means the local livestock auction. They specifically want cockerels ages 6-10 months, or, laying hens ages 24-30 months (2-2.5yrs). Are there any clues to tell on sight how old a bird is?
Thanks!

Hello BYC Forum,
Recently I started supplying cockerels to an ethnic restaurant, but can't keep up with the demand. They asked if I could get them more, which means the local livestock auction. They specifically want cockerels ages 6-10 months, or, laying hens ages 24-30 months (2-2.5yrs). Are there any clues to tell on sight how old a bird is?
Thanks!

1.The condition of the shanks: (a chicken's lower legs) can clue you in: older birds have larger, rougher shanks, whereas a younger bird will have smooth shanks with a bit of sheen to them.

2. The molt: a chicken under one year of age will not molt the first year.

3. The spurs: The older a rooster gets, the longer his spurs will be. Older hens may also grow spurs. However, this also depends on breed. Some breeds naturally grow larger spurs than other breeds.

So it’s not a direct number but it’ll have a ball park range of how old the chicken is.

1.The condition of the shanks: (a chicken's lower legs) can clue you in: older birds have larger, rougher shanks, whereas a younger bird will have smooth shanks with a bit of sheen to them.

2. The molt: a chicken under one year of age will not molt the first year.

3. The spurs: The older a rooster gets, the longer his spurs will be. Older hens may also grow spurs. However, this also depends on breed. Some breeds naturally grow larger spurs than other breeds.

So it’s not a direct number but it’ll have a ball park range of how old the chicken is.
While all the above is correct, there are many ways to blur the true age of the bird.

1. Condition of feet and shanks will appear fresh and youthful after spraying them several times with Ballistol animal or similar.

2. Young chickens will go through several juvenile molts up to the age of about 6-7 months depending on breed and alimentation.

3. Spurs can be removed or filed down to a "youthful" nub as well as the nails/claws.

Hello BYC Forum,
Thanks!
I would let them source their required poultry on their own for several reasons:

#Handling and transporting poultry of unknown origin and health conditions could contaminate your own flock as you would carry the contaminants on your clothes and shoes, on yourself hands, skin, hair etc) and on/in your cehicle and any cages etc. you would use for transportation purposes.

#You will not be able to truly determine the health condition of the birds or their real age and thus the restaurant might not want to take all off of you.
So you might be left with unwanted unhealthy birds and nowhere to keep them unless you would bring them home risking to contaminate your own birds in the process.

I would let them source their required poultry on their own for several reasons:

#Handling and transporting poultry of unknown origin and health conditions could contaminate your own flock as you would carry the contaminants on your clothes and shoes, on yourself hands, skin, hair etc) and on/in your cehicle and any cages etc. you would use for transportation purposes.

#You will not be able to truly determine the health condition of the birds or their real age and thus the restaurant might not want to take all off of you.
So you might be left with unwanted unhealthy birds and nowhere to keep them unless you would bring them home risking to contaminate your own birds in the process.
Ditto. Plus, if they eat the birds from the auction and don't like them cause they're tough or something, they may decide not to buy from you anymore, including the birds you've raised yourself, because of bad quality. Once you own the birds, they're all yours. If the restaurant doesn't like any of the birds you give them because the people at the auction lied, the consequences will fall on you and could sour your relationship with this customer.

While all the above is correct, there are many ways to blur the true age of the bird.

1. Condition of feet and shanks will appear fresh and youthful after spraying them several times with Ballistol animal or similar.

2. Young chickens will go through several juvenile molts up to the age of about 6-7 months depending on breed and alimentation.

3. Spurs can be removed or filed down to a "youthful" nub as well as the nails/claws.
I never knew people would be that conniving when it came to chickens. Learn something new every-time i come on this app.

Those are good points. I will have to consider these.

Back
Top Bottom