How to tell which chicken (read breed) is laying which egg?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hello hive (coop?) mind. So I have gotten to the point where I am going to sell some hatching eggs. Right now the girls from which the eggs are coming are all together, a group of 6 with 2 different breeds, NHs and delawares. The buyer would prefer the eggs are separated by breed, which will be NH and red sex link, but I would like to avoid separating the girls for now if I can. any ideas?

I have read, i think on here, of putting a bit of food coloring in the vent of the hens. The dye will rub onto the egg when expelled. Is this feasible? That is really all I have so far.

I could theoretically separate them but I just moved them recently and the current group dynamic is working pretty well. Appreciate any insight.

Here are the eggs from the birds in question. These 22 will be set tomorrow for myself in my NR360, and I will start collecting the ones for sale.
20220322_181415.jpg

Hello hive (coop?) mind. So I have gotten to the point where I am going to sell some hatching eggs. Right now the girls from which the eggs are coming are all together, a group of 6 with 2 different breeds, NHs and delawares. The buyer would prefer the eggs are separated by breed, which will be NH and red sex link, but I would like to avoid separating the girls for now if I can. any ideas?

I have read, i think on here, of putting a bit of food coloring in the vent of the hens. The dye will rub onto the egg when expelled. Is this feasible? That is really all I have so far.

I could theoretically separate them but I just moved them recently and the current group dynamic is working pretty well. Appreciate any insight.

Here are the eggs from the birds in question. These 22 will be set tomorrow for myself in my NR360, and I will start collecting the ones for sale.
View attachment 3034062
With mine, I just see them lay, watch s week about and see who’s is what colr, good luck!

Right now the girls from which the eggs are coming are all together, a group of 6 with 2 different breeds, NHs and delawares. The buyer would prefer the eggs are separated by breed, which will be NH and red sex link, but I would like to avoid separating the girls for now if I can. any ideas?
Curious as to why, what breed cockbird is with them?

Yep, it can work:

what breed cockbird is with them?
A NH cockerel. So the chicks will be NHs or red sex links. I think they will be pretty easy to tell apart at birth, with the sex link boys being cream, the sex link girls being red/blonde, and the NHs all being mahogany dark red, but the customer wants them separate. Why, I don't know. This is my first sale of hatching eggs through the Livestock Conservancy breeder directory so I am trying to be very accomodating/professional. To be totally honest, neither of thise things are my usual operating style! lol

ETA: Thanks for the video!

Added food coloring to the vents of the NHs last night. This morning 2/3 eggs had the slightest of blue streaking on it. Because the streaking was so light I added more tonight a bit more liberally, hoping this application lasts longer than one day. So far it has been a pain in the butt (teehee) but has been working to separate the eggs and not the girls.

Will you tell me if I am right? I predicted that top two, left side, in the left carton and all the others that color brown were the NH, and the lighter, almost pinker brown or cream color were the Delaware.

Mrs K

@Mrs. K Well that batch is incubating now so i can't say yet with any surety. Here are the eggs I have been collecting/separating this week. I think you have the colorings reversed. It seems to me the NHs are laying the lighter, creamier eggs (note blue streaks from food coloring on cloaca in first pic) and the Delawares are laying the brown ones. (no food coloring)
New Hampshire Eggs
20220327_072138.jpg

Delaware eggs
20220327_072235.jpg

Back
Top Bottom