How to tend these wounds...

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Hey, first post here, though I've read the occasional post over the last few months! I first got hens last spring. Of the original seven all but one is dead now due to predator attacks, unfortunately.

A couple weeks ago a dog attacked my chickens, killed one and injured another. Most of the feathers on the back of her neck were pulled out but the skin was mostly intact. I sprayed Blu-Kote on the wound. After a couple days of shock, she is back to her old self. Since it is so cold and the only other hen we have is new and they do not get along, we have been keeping her inside. Anyway, now her wound seems to be healing nicely, but her skin, after scabbing, is flaking off and causing her to scratch. Is there a way to keep her from scratching, because she is causing herself to bleed? Also, while most of her feathers are gone, there are a couple awkwardly holding on. Should I trim these? Or is that a no go? And will these feathers grow back?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

:frowHi there and welcome to BYC.

I’m assuming you’ve checked her over well for mites or lice, and there’s no evidence of abscess under the skin.

A picture of her neck would help to determine the best course of action, but if it’s simply itching in the area that’s healing, a bit of antibiotic ointment, olive oil (or similar such as coconut), could be soothing.

If they are old feathers, and just a few, yes you could trim them if they are in the way.

New feathers growing in, as is the case of seasonal molting, can also make them flaky and itchy.

Back
Top Bottom