How to treat a plucked hen? :(

MrsCadenhead

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Georgia
I was given two buff Orpington hens today to add to my lovely flock (yay!!), but it seems the rooster roughed one of my girls up a bit yesterday before she came to me. :( I'm only guessing it was her rooster because of the nature/placement of the injuries. I don't have this problem with my rooster and I've never had to deal with a plucked hen before! Her back and a small spot on the back of her head are completely plucked free of feathers, and there is a little blood-- the area is tender, and it looks very painful. There are no open wounds exactly, but she's roughed up enough for the surrounding feathers to have a little blood on them.. :( Her hind end is also missing a few feathers and very pink, but it wasn't even noticeable until I saw her fluffing. Is there anything I can put on her or give her to help the healing process or relieve any discomfort?

You can rub some REGULAR Neosporin on her rough areas or even Vaseline. Blu-Kote would also work quite well and to prevent this from getting any worse, you could buy or make a "chicken saddle".

You can rub some REGULAR Neosporin on her rough areas or even Vaseline. Blu-Kote would also work quite well and to prevent this from getting any worse, you could buy or make a "chicken saddle".

Thank you! I put Vaseline on it right away when I got her, so I'm glad you think it's a good idea to use it. :) When you mentioned Neosporin it dawned on me that i have HP Healing Creme from the vet I worked at.. It's a homeopathic version of Neosporin for animals.. I can't believe I had forgotten! They say pregnancy depletes your brain cells, I guess they're right! Ooooops :/:)
Do you suppose the feathers will grow back? :/

If there is visible blood I would recommend keeping her away from any other chickens until she has healed up more. Chickens can be cannibalistic if there is blood. Her feathers will grow back in a few weeks or so. Good luck!

I second the Blue Kote! Blue Kote is an antibiotic AND colors the area purple, the purple will cover any blood/ raw spots and discourage the other chickens from pecking her. She will be healed up in no time
wink.png

Good Luck!

Trish

Yes, the feathers will most likely grow back. My friend had a hen thats whole body (almost) was feather picked and she put ointment on it daily. Now she has all of her feathers back, and she was worse than your hen.

I second the Blue Kote!  Blue Kote is an antibiotic AND colors the area purple, the purple will cover any blood/ raw spots and discourage the other chickens from pecking her. She will be healed up in no time ;)

Good Luck!

Trish

Very smart! Great idea! Thank you, everyone! These forums are really a lifesaver. Phew! :lol:

Turns out, I think the other buff hen may be the culprit. She's plucking and eating feathers from all of my chickies! Eeek! Their food is 17% protein I think, so I'm gonna mix in some grower for a few days maybe? This chicken is twice the size of all of my other hens AND bigger than my rooster, they're all terrified of her!

Back
Top Bottom