How to treat bumblefoot

Do you let her out every day? Also I am dealing with bumblefoot right now, my hens foot was bleeding. I left it for a couple of days, and it turned into pus. I wrap my chickens feet, I find putting Vaseline on it helps soften it.
Thanks for the advice. The flock usually free ranges on about a 3/4 acre, but since this injury she has stayed pretty close to the pen. It's good to hear that sometimes the less invasive methods help them to heal themselves. I'll keep checking and applying the ointment and re-wrapping every couple of days or so.

Thanks for the advice. The flock usually free ranges on about a 3/4 acre, but since this injury she has stayed pretty close to the pen. It's good to hear that sometimes the less invasive methods help them to heal themselves. I'll keep checking and applying the ointment and re-wrapping every couple of days or so.
Yeah I was scared to do the cutting too.

By cutting, you mean, like the first article you shared, right?

Glad I'm not the only one. Husband is out of town so it's my son and I dealing with it. I almost want to ask my neighbor to help as he's a surgeon but I feel ridiculous doing so!! haha I need to get it together :)
Yes. I would try to remove the infection from the top of the foot.
If your neighbor is willing to help, then go for it! He might find it interesting, you never know.

Ok that’s good to know, thanks
I wouldn't. It shouldn't be that painful.
When we unwrapped the foot, it was already much less swollen from removing the scab on the bottom, I guess. Even the top looked like it was deflated a bit. But we cut the top one open and removed all the pus we could find, cleaned and re-wrapped. Will keep you posted. Thanks again

Sometimes if you soak it in a Epsom salt bath you can remove it with tweezers and it will come out as a kernel.
That worked to get the kernel out on the bottom. But after a couple days the top was still not great so we cut it and removed the pus from in there to hopefully speed the healing. She did really well, poor thing. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom