How to watch chicks hatch with broody hens

Liz2

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2017
We have 2 broody hens that have been doing an awesome job co-nesting on 12 eggs. I have them separated in the coop with their separate food and water. The eggs are due to hatch next week and an wondering if there is a way for me and the kids to watch the eggs hatch without taking them from the hens to an incubator.

It’s possible with acrylic clear nesting boxes with wireless live video cam. Otherwise can’t really keep on bothering the hens and the eggs that might cause to lose the temp and the humidity level under the mom hens.

Depending on how tame your hens are (are they going to be very upset? If so, don't.) I would wait until you see a chick moving around under there, then check under for zipped eggs. You don't really want to sit through the zipping process, and by nearly-hatched point, humidity doesn't really matter. Just hold the egg in your hands, keeping it warm, and watch. After hatch, tuck back in under.

Both girls are tame. They make a little noise but don’t mind with me checking on them. I candled the eggs at about 10 days and they didn’t mind at all. The 12 eggs they as nesting on are actually ones I bought because the ones from them were not fertile. They didn’t mind me stealing theirs and switching them with fertile ones.

Back
Top Bottom