How waterproof are slikies and frizzles?

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
We have our first rain day today since getting our chooks and It got me wondering if, because they dont have regular chicken feathers, they are as waterproof or resistant as a regular feather?

ie the regular feathers would sit together so a lot of the water would run off the bird, but because these are curly or silkie they are not really going to make that smooth run off barrier they normally would.

Do I need to keep them out of the rain? They dont seem to care and are wandering around in the heavy drizzle we have at the moment. Its not a real warm day out today (my teen even put a jumper on and thats a first!! lol)

They are 9 weeks old

Well just a funny update for anyone that is interested too, apparently unlike humans who's hair goes curlier when wet (I speak from experience) it appears that chickens feathers go straight :). She wasn't even very wet because it was only a misty sprinkle when I let her out.

Guess once they straighten out they will work just like any other chickens feathers.

Last edited:
Great pictures! LOL. Awesome.

I have one frizzle and one silkie. It live in the desert so it really only rains like 1 weeks year but I have washed both of them a few times and they seemed to dry as well/not well as any of my other hens.

The lady who sold me the frizzle told me never to get her wet so I got a hair dryer and was worried about it but she dried fine. I would just check up on them and make sure they are doing ok.

My white silkies don't mind the rain, but look really sad with wet feathers. I don't know how they stay white but they do, my other non silkie white chickens get dirty easily.

Back
Top Bottom