How well can chickens handle heat?

@Random Fluffy Chicken I'm in North FL Panhandle. Don't get the thermometer readings of our friends in AZ or west TX, but I do have high humidity - 95% humid, 90-some degrees isn't uncommon, and we are already at 90+ degrees daily. Offering this experience in case its closer to your own climate in Southern CA.

First, its absolutely true that chickens do much better in the cold than the heat. Lots of shade, tons of ventilation, multiple waterers, and places your chickens can dustbathe in the shade (even an inch down, the ground is much cooler than the surrounding air - all that ground contact makes for a massive heat sink to help your birds cool off). You can also select birds better suited to the climate - look for prominent combs, clean legs, moderate feather densities (my Dark Brahma were a very poor choice for me, nut with care, they tolerate it. So does my remaining CornishX, a breed not famed for its health. All are over a year old now and doing fine).

If you go the fan route, you might also consider a small solar cell connected to a series of sealed or sleeve bearing CPU case fans - they are moderately inexpensive, move a ton of air, there is no fire hazard, and no need to run power to your coop. Avoiding the electrician, the permit requirements, and the tax man. They are also designed for dusty environments (but should still be located under an eave or other sheltered location, blowing air in).

The biggest problem with case cans is that they move too much air, in too small a space, which creates drafts - so be sure to keep them aimed above your chickens or otherwise disperse the airflow. A single 200mm case fan rated at 70+cfm can turn all the air in an 8x8 coop, 8' tall 8 times an hour at top speeds.

Solar powered roof exhaust fans are also a possibility - though ugly, expensive, difficult to repair, and designed for much greater air volumes than all but the largest of coops.

I removed some boards covering the windows in the coop last week so that should help. There’s plenty of shade and water in the coop and outside. Lots of trees with shade and I fill the water bowl up frequently so hopefully that’s enough. It’s still spring and I bet it’s going to get even hotter as the weeks go by, I’ll have to see what else I can do about the heat.

I don't think I would worry too much about chickens in the heat. Dear Wife is from the Philippines, in the hot tropics, and her mother had chickens there outside their house. They did not have any special way to cool off the chickens and the chickens did just fine. I suppose some breeds handle heat better than others, but, in general, chickens can regulate their body heat pretty well.

Well, that's a good reason not use to the 'insert article' function.
I have never used the 'insert article' function and I think this was perhaps the first time I have seen it used in any of the threads I have been following. If you hover the mouse over the title, you see the title change to a link. But I did not know that and only read what was on the screen.

More importantly, since you do use an ordinary house box fan, how often do you have to clean it out? If it works good for you, and is safe, that would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying a barn fan. Especially if you only need to use it occasionally.

:lau Where I live, we turned on the air conditioner for almost a full week last summer. Global warming I guess.... Chickens did OK though.

I have never used the 'insert article' function and I think this was perhaps the first time I have seen it used in any of the threads I have been following. If you hover the mouse over the title, you see the title change to a link. But I did not know that and only read what was on the screen.
It's a new thing, came with the last upgrade.
Not many know about it or use it.
It take up a bit of space, I used it here it due to the pic it showed.
Will note that it's a link in the future.

More importantly, since you do use an ordinary house box fan, how often do you have to clean it out? If it works good for you, and is safe, that would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying a barn fan. Especially if you only need to use it occasionally.
I blow it off with the air compressor when I take it out in the fall.
It doesn't get any dirtier than when used in the house to blow cooler air inside.
Only run it for about 4 hours on the hot days,
and never leave it on overnight due to fire fears.
It's an ancient fan, gotta be at least 20, maybe 25 years old.
It moves much more air than the newer 20" house fans which are not deep in housing and blade angle.

Newby here...but isn't the ice gonna melt n make more water than chickens need causing potential drowning? Sorry...Newby like I said lol?
It’s okay dw like the kitty pool I’m talking about ISNT like the deep ones so you can fill it all the way up and the water will be up to the top of their legs but this only applies to full grown chickens if you mean younger chickens then yes they could drown

Back
Top Bottom