How well do feather footed chickens fly?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by txchickie, Jun 12, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My DH is convinced that they can't fly, and that for some reason makes them useless [​IMG]. I know silkies are not flyers.....but what about the rest?

I really want some feather feeties! [​IMG]

2. Auntbeast

Auntbeast In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Rabun County, GA
    My Light Brahma rooster that is supposed to be about a year old flew over a 6 foot fence. Not only is he feather footed, he's a darn big bird.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    It depends on the breed, if its a LF Cochin feathers or not that one is staying on the ground, if its a bantam De Ulcelle, then it can fly with the best of them. I have a feather footed Brahma that makes it to the rafters each night, and he is too big for the others to be putting him up there. [​IMG]

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    really, cochin's don't fly? I have one that's only a couple weeks old... is that why her feathers are so tiny?! She flies around a bit, that stops when they get bigger?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, keep this a secret pahleeze! but I'm found my brahma rooster on the roof of my DH's jeep twice. The jeep has a 4 inch lift kit on it. [​IMG]

6. sunket77

sunket77 Songster

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    my 5 wk old bantam cochin has all his feathers and drops like a rock when he tries to fly! he is a terrible flyer!

7. We have a dark brahma bantam hen that could fly if she decided to. She is the only one we have with a group of RIRs, Barred Rocks, and Golden Comets. Most of the time she does what everyone else does, which is stay on the ground!! [​IMG] We found her in the rafters of the coop once.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: