How would you get rid of coyotes?

Shotguns are good, you can get a slug and really pack a punch. I shot a buck with a slug and literally knocked it off its feet. I would recommend :)

I personally only know how to use a 9mm safely. I can't shoot a rifle, but my husband can. We have a shotgun too. We have 2 dogs that go hunting with us. There's at least 2 coyotes, if not 3. Last year we saw them during the day, but they didn't stick around longer then a week.

The coyotes are still there. My dog rolled in its poop twice this week right in our backyard. It's very fresh poop too, as she needed a big scrub down. Gross. We see the piles of poop, it definitely is the coyote poop too.

I have not free ranged my flock since this happened. My egg quality is not nearly as nice anymore. My yolks are yellow, but my hens are alive!!!!

We need to figure something out before the coyotes get one of of cats or dogs.:/. I'm not sure if I want to hire someone, I'd rather get them ourselves. The coyote I saw last year was huge! Maybe I can rent a trap or I just might call the DNR and see if they have a live trap to rent.

My flock has not put up a huge ruckus since they've been locked up which surprises me. We added a few more roosts to the run and they do have plenty of space. I just prefer free ranging if possible. They are happier and the eggs are better.

Last edited:
Yotes are very sharp animals
old.gif

I agree with the posters recommending the shotgun over the rifle, especially if you aren't an experienced shooter. Less likely to create collateral damage downrange with the shotgun, and more likely to produce a kill at short ranges.

We had a problem with dog packs around here... they killed a couple of my goats, and a few chickens. The dogs are no longer a problem.
hu.gif

When I'm out on the property, I usually have a sidearm on me as well. In fact, I carry most of the time I'm awake!

So far, I've not seen a coyote here, but I know they are a problem where I live. If I do see one, it probably won't be a problem anymore.

Rotor
I don't know about where you are at but I have seen more coyotes here in the last two years than ever before and our deer population is taking a big hit.
Shotguns are good, you can get a slug and really pack a punch. I shot a buck with a slug and literally knocked it off its feet. I would recommend
smile.png
Shotgun yes, Slug No~ for a woman~ for a woman not used to shooting shotguns definitely~ low brass 2-3/4" buckshot it will do the job and not knock her flat on her butt or cause her to drop the shotgun.
I personally only know how to use a 9mm safely. I can't shoot a rifle, but my husband can. We have a shotgun too. We have 2 dogs that go hunting with us. There's at least 2 coyotes, if not 3. Last year we saw them during the day, but they didn't stick around longer then a week.

The coyotes are still there. My dog rolled in its poop twice this week right in our backyard. It's very fresh poop too, as she needed a big scrub down. Gross. We see the piles of poop, it definitely is the coyote poop too.

I have not free ranged my flock since this happened. My egg quality is not nearly as nice anymore. My yolks are yellow, but my hens are alive!!!!

We need to figure something out before the coyotes get one of of cats or dogs.
hmm.png
. I'm not sure if I want to hire someone, I'd rather get them ourselves. The coyote I saw last year was huge! Maybe I can rent a trap or I just might call the DNR and see if they have a live trap to rent.
Get the shotgun with low brass buckshot in 2-3/4" no need for a magnum round on a coyote in close.
Yotes are very sharp animals
old.gif
Agreed and they learn very fast, they have a very good sense of smell and eyesight. I would get a wounded rabbit decoy and an electronic call. Then call them in a bust em up! There are quite a few counties that pay a bounty for them now.

The coyote hunt is not going well darn it! The coyotes are still in my backyard!!! My Aussie dog is rolling in the fresh poop often when she finds it! The coyotes are still hunting during the day several days a week. We can hear their quick yips and yelps. There are at least 2/3 or possibly more out there. The one I saw last year was huge!

I'm keeping my flock locked up. I'm starting a mealworm farm, which my husband is not happy about. I'm sprouting alfalfa and other greens as well as clipping grass and weeds for them. I bought alfalfa meal and make a mixture with oats/cracked corn/peanut butter/ect to try and get my yolks orange again.

My flock has been pretty quiet being locked up. We have 3 roosts in the run, 3 roosts in the coop and shelving in the coop. There's a lot of space for them.

Here's my run. :)

Half of the coop(the heather comes out during the summer)

We cover the run all winter long, which is a temporary extended coop. I put treat balls that hang from the roost and they get a flock block too.

I really do hope I can free range again someday and soon. I hate keeping them locked up.

Shotgun yes, Slug No~ for a woman~ for a woman not used to shooting shotguns definitely~ low brass 2-3/4" buckshot it will do the job and not knock her flat on her butt or cause her to drop the shotgun.

Shmccarthy who shot the slug gun knocking the buck off his feet IS A WOMAN. I bet SHE is capable of shooting any gun that anybody else is. I'd put money on it. I am a woman and I shot my first shotgun (an old 12 guage that kicks like a mule) when I was 10 years old. I man stood behind me to catch me when I shot it the first time. He was a little amazed when he wasn't needed. You shouldn't assume all women are dainty little weak things. LOL

Gotta agree with shooting them. Part of responsible animal husbandry is effectively controlling predators and varmints. Make sure you comply with local regulations about discharging firearms in your locality, and always shoot safely, but there's really only one way to deal with coyotes on your property. Also remember, that coyotes carry a host of diseases including rabies. They can be dangerous to dogs and other pets, and even kids.

If coyotes are in your area, they are likely going to continue to be there regardless of how many you shoot. It is going to be ongoing problem. As long as the predator has a food source they will live in the area. That food source may or may not be your chickens but all predators will take advantage of any easy opportunity.

Consider an electric fence when free ranging or keep them cooped up. If the law allows and it is safe, throw some led at them. The problem with shooting is it requires you to be there and ready when they show up..That is fine if you don't have anything to do but guard your chickens. Most people don't have that time and as soon as you turn your back or let down your guard, Murphy's law applies. Shooting / trapping is a short term solution. Start thinking long term..Coyotes or any predators can / will become a reoccurring problem..

Back
Top Bottom