HOW'D YA GET THAT NAME

We have ducks not chickens but I thought I would join in too-

We have two runner ducks and one muscovy. My Daughter (13) named the female runner Amy, My son (12) named the male runner Boris and my son (6) named the muscovy Otilia. We are getting som chicken eggs at the end of this month and my son (7) has first dibs to name one but hasn't decided on a name and my son (6 who named Otilia) has decided that if we get a rooster he will call it James Russel after his best friend from school, and all I can say is thank goodness we won't be keeping any roosters!!
bow.gif

Not all of my chickens have special meanings behind their names, only three. Ruthie was my grandmother's idea, in honor of her best friend, Ruth. Raven, because she looked just like a raven before her face started turning red, and Alaska is named after the character Alaska from "Looking for Alaska" by John Green. Both Alaskas are strong, spirited fighters, so I thought the name was fitting. :)

We are new chicken owners and our chicks are just six weeks old. Not all are named yet.

We have-
Amy the barred rock because she is so friendly. She was my first friend among the chickens.

Bruce the EE. He started out as Bertha Belle, but now is crowing and has quite the comb on him hence the name change.

An EE with a limp we named Claudia since it means little lame one. She's walking almost normally now. :)

Three very similar looking EE's are the Spice Girls- Ginger, Cinnamon, and we haven't decided on the third. What's another good red-brown spice?

Silver is our silver laced wynadotte. Original, no?

Our buff orpington pullets were named Mary and Martha because humans in our family of the same name are blond, too. My 5 year old named them. I had wanted to name one Buffy due to Joss Whedon, too.

Two of our barred rock boys are named Teddy and Elvis. Teddy because he's such a cuddler. Elvis because locked in the brooder he was in "jail" wearing black and white stripes. A little jailhouse barred rock.

Kestrel is an EE who looks like a kestrel because of the markings around her eyes.

Whip-poor-will is an EE who looks like a whip-poor-will when she sits. The way her wings are folded sort of complete the look.

Those are all the ones named so far. Apparently, we need more boy names. :-(

Interesting thread.

We have 9 adult hens that we got in April and one of them stuck out right away because she was so friendly and demanding attention so we started calling her Princess (buff orp).

One of them is a Light Brahama and she is HUGE compared to all the rest and extremely independant, we call her Big Bertha.

We have a cream colored Ameraucana who is kinda stuck up (not friendly) that we call Paris Hilton.

The Production Red is the only one who roosts on the lower roost making me think she is the end of the pecking line, so we call her Henny Penny.

Our Welsummer has ended up being the favorite of the rooster a friend gave us, so her name is Pamela (Anderson LOL).

The rooster is a mutt, he has fancy tail feathers that flair up and over, and thinks he is "all that", but he will be "leaving the building" when we get our new rooster... Elvis seemed appropriate :D

The other 4 hens are all buff orps and they are pretty hard to tell apart. We have not named them yet.

The fun part is going to be when we get our new 20 laying chicks, 2 each of 10 different breeds.

we have a rooster named Rocky for obvious reasons he kicked our bullmastiffs' butt one day

these girls are Lady, Henny, and creamsicle (her butt is fluffy white)
We hatched one each of their eggs and when they all hatched they all looked really different one I call Hawk he looked just like a hawk the other was Mo she had a black stripe in her head and the other I called Larry but changed it to Ivory (her colors are creamy) we do have more chickens but no names for them yet. Except for one silkie rooster who likes to give Rocky a hard time he has just started crowing this past week and its driving Rocky nuts so we are calling him Buster bc he likes to bust Rocky's "balls" and get him worked up, its very funny to watch the Crowing showdown.

We have six chicks- 10 weeks old:

Butters- She is a Buff Orpington and we named her Butters because of her color and also just a South Park Joke.

Charmander- My daughters Black Australorp and named after a Pokemon character she loved as a young girl

(The Black) Pearl- called only Pearl, and named by my son who loves Pirates of the Caribbean. She's also a Black Australorp.

Pheazy- My husband named her Pheazy after doing his Crossfit "work-out of the day" and that just happened to be the name of his workout. So funny, the name fits her perfectly!

Cinnamon- a RIR- named for her color

Caliope- Our adorable little Easter Egger.

Well Elsie is a Rooster.......... Now it has taken me a few weeks to come up with just the right name for Him. After watching him with the hens and seeing how commanding he can be, and all his strips, What better name could there be then Sargent or Sarge for short. So His new name is Master Sargent LC. Chickens are just too much fun, LOL LOL.

Back
Top Bottom