Huge Bird

TerryLou

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
I wish I was tech savvy enough to post some pics, maybe I can get help from my son soon.

We have some chickens that were all the same April hatch. One is at least twice the size of the other 5. We joke that she is part chicken, part turkey. My son laughs & says she has elephantitis. Really she is huge. Huge body, huge legs, huge feet. They were all the same size when we got them. Also her belly & butt seem to not be growing feathers well, although that may be due to the fact that she tends to lay in the dirt vs roosting.

Any thoughts ?

maybe a cockeral. they sometimes develop tail feathers at a slower rate than the pullets, not to mention the size difference and larger/thicker legs. I'd love to see a pic. Are they all the same breed?

sounds exactly like a meat bird woud be its not white is it
smile.png

Yeah... I was going to ask if it was white too...
hmm.png

Edit: What is it supposed to be? If you say Leghorn I'm going to laugh, this year several people who ordered Cornish x have got Leghorns so those Cornish x had to go somewhere.

Last edited:
Yep, White ~ they all are. We rescued 26 from a place where they were canabalizing (started off 60!). We subdivided with some friends to get down to a managable "flock". For me, my son & grandaughter, first time chicken owners, that was 6 whites & two little fuzzy things. The little fuzzies have feathers now, one is yellow & the other is brown.

I will try to post pics on Mon. oh ~ Yes, I was told they were leghorns (the white ones anyway)

Last edited:
Gosh you have the same problem I have with the one chick out growing the others It is also white, and seams to lay around and eat and drink while lying down at times. I don't know what it is either same prob with pictures too.
sad.png

I swear I will get some pics on here Monday ! I keep wondering if there is something genetically wrong with her. She seems friendly enough to the others, just twice their size. She lays around frequently and we've discussed whether it's because her "chicken legs" can't hold up her turkey body !

Back
Top Bottom