HUGE egg

DobieMom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
37912_wtf_egg.jpg

Hello!

Not sure which one of my gals left us this egg??? We have an older Easter Egger who lays every now & then. An old Americauma Cross who stopped laying a while ago, and 2 younger Americauna gals who may be just starting to lay now. Those would be the only 4 of the 16 hens we have that lay that color egg. My question is..... why is it so big? Next to it is an egg from my Barred Rock (Barbie) and a lemon. Dang thing is super heavy too. Is this normal?

I don't know what is up with the big egg, mine laid one too yesterday and it was 2.7 oz. and white. I have no idea who laid it. I am ready to get a game cam just to find out who is laying what.

How much does it weigh? A large egg should weigh 2 oz. That looks more than 3!

I agree......wow indeed. My hen of indeterminate breeding has been laying double yolkers ever since she started laying about 6 weeks ago. Her biggest egg weighed 3.5 ounces and her smallest 3 ounces. She is wonderful to me, she should be after not starting to lay until 8 months old!!!!

Rachel....Mum to 4 kids, 4 dogs, 4 cats, 3 guinea pigs , 14 fish and 5 hens....oh and wife to an understanding nurse!!

Back
Top Bottom