Huge feet

BigBen

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Smithfield,RI
Today a buddy of mine was out in the woods when something caught his eye.
It was a chicken.. he picked her up and brought her home.
He has a 8x8x16 cage that he used to have ducks in, so he put her in there with a mixture of bird seed(he didn't know what to give her)
When I showed up she had eaten a ton of food and her crop was bulging.
The first thing I noticed was her comb was frost bitten. It was black at the tips and a little scabby.
Then I picked her up and noticed that her feet were huge. Kind of looked like they were swollen.
I looked at her vent and it seemed clean and when I petted her she made some soft sounds and was very friendly.
Will frost bite make there feet swell?

Are he feet really scaly looking? If so it could be leg mites- Which from what I read on here are easily treated. I'll let the more experienced people post on that , since I have never treated for that.

Are her feet dry feeling? Sounds like leg mites. I always use vaseline. Apply it thick. I do this every evening for about two week. Keep her bedding clean. They will get better!! She was lucky to have been found. If they aren't dry, only swollen, it may be Bumble foot. From what I have read ,it is an infection on the bottom of the foot. Is there any way you can post a picture? I am sure someone here can help!! Good luck and keep us posted
fl.gif
caf.gif

We called a mutual friend who has Chickens and turkeys and he is going to pick her up tomorrow and see if he can help her.
When I picked her up I thought that there was no way she was going to be able to roost.
They were swollen even on the bottom.
I am new to the chicken thing, but I was astounded at her temperament. Even though she was starved and frost bitten, she was calm and friendly.
I think I'm going to like being a chicken guy.

I might know later on.
Our friend couldn't pick her up last night so he is coming this afternoon.
I'm going to call my buddy this morn and see if a warm night with a full belly has made any difference.

Back
Top Bottom