HUGE French Black Copper Maran

NatalieRS

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2019
Howdy Fellow Chicken Owners,

I have a small flock of 10 chickens. 4 are 2-years old and 6 are 1-year old. They are all amazingly health and beautiful.

May Question: Is it normal for my French Black Copper Maran to be HUGE? Her breast and crop are so large they swing like a pendulum when she walks. She is busy and lays beautiful eggs like the rest of the flock, but she is just so much larger that I want to make sure this is normal and that something is not wrong. She has been this way since maturity, so this is not new.

We use a Grandpa Feeder but I don't see her eat any more than the other chickens. Plus, the whole flock gets a lot of outdoor free foraging time on our 3 acres.

Is her heavy, swinging breast and crop normal? Is she ok or in pain? Do I need to do anything? She seems happy, but I know chickens hide pain and illness, so I just want to make sure. Oh, and she HATES having her picture taken, so this is the best I have. See her bulge?

Others in the flock:

1 buff orpington
3 different color Wyandotte's
2 bantam frizzles
1 polish
2 americana's
and of coarse 1 French copper maran

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 104
Is her heavy, swinging breast and crop normal? I
I would not consider this as normal, as there must have been some kind of crop impaction in her past leading to this now pendoulous crop.

Marans tend to overeat and mostly do not well with the option to stuff themselves all day long.

I would suggest to separate her in a crate without food or water for the night to see, if the crop will be empty in the morning. If it is still full or half full, she suffers from a crop impaction that should be treated accordingly.

I agree with what everyone said to check her crop and make sure it is emptying correctly. Otherwise, that is just how her crop is now. If caught early the bra suggested can help the weakened crop muscles get back into shape, but your gals looks pretty advanced. I have a flock of french black copper marans, feather feet! never again T_T and I will say mine are very duel purpose, they are excellent meat birds, by 4 months they are the size of a good looking chicken dinner, much bigger than my other birds.

I find the older they get the easier it is for them to start to develop pendulous crop. Mostly because they love to eat, and eat, and eat.

Howdy Fellow Chicken Owners,

I have a small flock of 10 chickens. 4 are 2-years old and 6 are 1-year old. They are all amazingly health and beautiful.

May Question: Is it normal for my French Black Copper Maran to be HUGE? Her breast and crop are so large they swing like a pendulum when she walks. She is busy and lays beautiful eggs like the rest of the flock, but she is just so much larger that I want to make sure this is normal and that something is not wrong. She has been this way since maturity, so this is not new.

We use a Grandpa Feeder but I don't see her eat any more than the other chickens. Plus, the whole flock gets a lot of outdoor free foraging time on our 3 acres.

Is her heavy, swinging breast and crop normal? Is she ok or in pain? Do I need to do anything? She seems happy, but I know chickens hide pain and illness, so I just want to make sure. Oh, and she HATES having her picture taken, so this is the best I have. See her bulge?

Others in the flock:

1 buff orpington
3 different color Wyandotte's
2 bantam frizzles
1 polish
2 americana's
and of coarse 1 French copper maran
I had a copper maran that got so heavy that when I picked her up I heard sloshing. Holding her upside down I gently pried her mouth open and water ran out like a faucet!!!!!! I ended up doing this every few days but she succumbed after several minths and passed away. I feed whole grains, oyster shell , grit , fresh water and they forage every day. I would like to know what this is

Back
Top Bottom