Huge Open wound on backside

Mistoid

Hatching
Sep 16, 2021
Yesterday I went out to adore my flock & one of my chickens was picking the backside of one of the bantam. I got closer & her whole backside was bleeding & pussie. I quickly got her out of there & rinsed her backside off & put some neosporin on it & have her in a kennel by herself. Today I rinsed her off again and spritz some iodine on the wound. My question is, I'm making a dust bath for the flock & was wondering if I should put one in her cage so she can bathe too?

I'd recommend waiting till the wound seals over before offering her any bathing opportunities. Do you know what it was caused by? Overactive rooster, botfly, other parasites? Molting or feather-eating?

Keep an eye on it for now to make sure it doesn't get reinfected, especially if you didn't clean all the puss out before adding the Neosporin. If she's picking at it, you may need to wrap it too so it has a chance to heal.

Inspect and remedicate often till it starts to close up. If the area starts getting hotter than the surrounding skin, this is a good indicator that the infection is still there and you may need to re-open the wound if it worsens to clear out any puss or infected tissue.

Ideally, you want to use antibiotic ointments that do 'not' have pain relief for birds. If your Neosporin has pain relievers, it's probably best to swap out for one that doesn't when you can.

I'd check a few times a day for now, or at least once a day, to make sure it's staying clean and packed with antibiotic cream. This should help get things on the right track.

Her vent is caked shut with brown gritty gunk. I've been bathing her daily, have her quarantined but her she seeming like she's able to poop. I cleaned her today & pulled a white rubbery discharge from her vent. And today she started making a loud chicken noise just one like she's struggling to push something out. Shes kinda a quiet chatty kind of chicken, so these loud noises she makes has me concerned. She does has vent gleet & her coop mates picked her clean including some of her meat back there but now because of the gleet I'm afraid she now might be egg bound

Back
Top Bottom