Huge Swelling on Ear of New Chocolate Orpington

jbtaylor1967

Chirping
May 7, 2018
Saline Co, AR
Help, please!
We got 3 Chocolate Orp pullets (and one chocolate-laced Wyandotte) from a breeder a week ago.
They're in isolation now and seem happy and healthy, except for a swollen ear on one of the Orps.
Yesterday, I noticed that "Georgia" has a huge swelling around her left ear.
The breeder said she'd never seen it before, and it doesn't look like the ear infections I've seen photos of, which usually has a big, clogged yellow plug.
Hers is just swollen
We don't have avian vets here in our small town, so does anyone have any ideas? Please help!!

Georgia swollen ear.JPG

Georgia swollen ear-2.jpg

This is Georgia's other side, with Gertie her sister, and Vernie, the Wyandotte.
Georgia_Vernie_Gertie.JPG

It looks like she has a scab/wound on the outside of the ear-is that from a peck or is she scratching the ear?

Have you looked inside the ear (behind the little tuft of feathers) for any pus, mites or a tick?
Vet care is best. You can try a warm compress and remove the scab to see if anything comes out. Chicken pus is semi solid, if that is filled with pus, then it will need to come out. If you do remove the scab, apply a triple antibiotic ointment after you finish.

Antibiotics may help if the swelling doesn't go down, but without knowing the exact cause, it's hard to know which medications to use.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

upload_2018-6-16_10-16-5.png

Thank you so much, Wyor
It looks like she has a scab/wound on the outside of the ear-is that from a peck or is she scratching the ear?

Have you looked inside the ear (behind the little tuft of feathers) for any pus, mites or a tick?
Vet care is best. You can try a warm compress and remove the scab to see if anything comes out. Chicken pus is semi solid, if that is filled with pus, then it will need to come out. If you do remove the scab, apply a triple antibiotic ointment after you finish.

Antibiotics may help if the swelling doesn't go down, but without knowing the exact cause, it's hard to know which medications to use.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

View attachment 1432948
Thank you so much, Wyorp!
I'm not sure about the peck or scratch. I just noticed it yesterday for the first time.
She's new, and doesn't know us yet, so she's very skittish. But I just called our dog's vet, and--though she doesn't really treat chickens--she told me to send her a picture of Georgia.
I'll see what she says, then treat her accordingly--and if she doesn't know--I'll do what you suggest, since that seems like the most sensible treatment.
Again, thank you so much and I'd love to hear anyone else's advice, or see if anyone else has seen this among their babies!

Thank you so much, Wyor

Thank you so much, Wyorp!
I'm not sure about the peck or scratch. I just noticed it yesterday for the first time.
She's new, and doesn't know us yet, so she's very skittish. But I just called our dog's vet, and--though she doesn't really treat chickens--she told me to send her a picture of Georgia.
I'll see what she says, then treat her accordingly--and if she doesn't know--I'll do what you suggest, since that seems like the most sensible treatment.
Again, thank you so much and I'd love to hear anyone else's advice, or see if anyone else has seen this among their babies!
Hey that's great! I'm glad the vet will at least look at your photos. I hope she has some suggestions for you. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Sometimes we see pictures of wattles and combs that have been stung by bees, bitten by ticks, or pecked by other chickens, and develop swelling. An ear could react the same. I would follow Wyorp’s advice in seeking vet care, but hopefully the swelling will go down. Does it feel soft?

Not sure if this will help, but I found a picture I took of Georgia the day we brought her home. There was a slight swelling, which I didn't notice at the time.
I contacted the breeder, but she just said "No idea, none of mine have ever done that."
georgia comparison with arrow.jpg

Attachments

• georgia comparison with arrow.jpg
    georgia comparison with arrow.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi guys. Thank you all so much for the help and concern.
Sadly, Georgia passed away yesterday afternoon, which leads our vet to believe it was, in fact, a tumor, particularly since there was evidence of the tumor when we picked Georgia up a week ago.
I contacted the breeder, who seemed completely un-concerned. All she said was “Sorry. That’s never happened before.”
I will never get another chicken from her. Not because of the death, but due to her lack of care.
Again, I can’t thank you all enough for being there!! You are the BEST!
PS—we also lost our sweet Wrylie, our 10 week old Silkie, who Mom has nursed for Wryneck since she was 2 weeks old.
4C309A1F-AFF4-4215-AE1B-B29A99175373.jpeg

Sad, sad week...

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry to hear about Georgia and Wrylie :hugs

If you have not buried them, you may want to consider sending both to your state diagnostic lab for further testing. This would give you a lot of information about Georgia's swelling and whether there is a concern that she had something contagious or not. http://www.agriculture.arkansas.gov/veterinary-diagnostic-lab

Thanks, Wyorp! We did already bury them. We know Wyrlie had wryneck, most likely due to a brain injury, since she's been treated for weeks and has shown little improvement.
As far as Georgia goes, all the other chickens in the isolation pen seem fine so far.
But we'll still keep them there another few weeks to be on the safe side.
Thank you soo much for your kindness!

Back
Top Bottom