Humid Climate Hatching - Can't Get the Humidity LOW Enough

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
I live in Southeast Texas, where it's very humid all the time - especially in the summer. We're barely above sea level here, if that makes a difference.

A few years ago, i did quite a bit of dry hatching, with really good results - nearly 100% hatch rates every time.

I just started hatching again a few months ago, and my hatch rates have been HORRIBLE - hovering right around 50%.

The major difference between what i was doing then and what i'm doing now, is that back then, i usually hatched two dozen at a time. Now, i've been setting 42 eggs at once, and on automatic turners.

The humidity in the incubator stays between 30 and 40 percent without my adding any moisture at all to the incubator. But when they start hatching, my humidity quickly rises to 70 - 80 - 90 per cent. This morning, when i took my chicks out of the incubator, the humidity was 99%. That's ridiculous. Sometimes the poor babies don't even get dry. They're soaked from the humidity.

And - of course - i have chicks pipping and then drowning in the shell because of it.

Does have anyone have a similar experience?

Is there something i can do to pull humidity from the incubator without opening it up?

Can i just not hatch that many at once here?

Please help!

I use a hovabator still air incubator, set in a room far from windows or doors, the surrounding temperature is kept constant day and night - air conditioned.

I know lots of people have very different thoughts about incubating. I'm interested in hearing whatever you think could help me.

Thanks!
pop.gif

i try to keep mine at 30-40 % and 70-80% at hatch. that doesnt sound that high to me. but if you think thats the problem i would wonder if you had your bator in a small room with a dehumidifier in there if it wouldnt help?

I have been told to add dry white rice to the bator to help get the humidity down...Bet that would work while they are hatching!

Thanks for your responses. The white rice idea sounds like an easy solution i could experiment with. I hadn't thought of that or the dehumidifier. Thanks a bunch!

I have had the same problem, I live in Florida. I use a Little Giant, but you said yours are still air, right? Try converting your bator to forced air (with a computer fan, etc) That seems to keep the humidity down better in my bator.

Thanks for your responses. The white rice idea sounds like an easy solution i could experiment with. I hadn't thought of that or the dehumidifier. Thanks a bunch!

Sorry, just saw your reply... Do a search on adding rice to the bator.. I am not confident enough to tell you how much or where to put it, I just know it was suggested once to me by a well known poster here..

Back
Top Bottom