Hunched up duck.

Oh Hi girls! Now you behave!

Captain is getting along just great over here. No one's giving him any trouble and he's running with everyone to the pond and back. Quite the life of the party, him!
Hi! Glad to hear from you :D
Yes the girls are behaving beautifully and the boys are thrilled! Alphy is still being odd, but everyone else is now waddling around and enjoying themselves :D

So glad to hear that Captain is doing well, he was always so quiet at my home, so hes probably enjoying the change! :D

Lol, I was going to ask about him, too. I've seen ducks do that, too, when they get out of the water. Well, if he's been doing it for all this time, perhaps it's a personality thing. I hope those girls will not be too hard on those boys.

They are woo-girls. They are!

I wonder if the crackling noise was the gizzard grinding? If I have to handle one for a prolonged period and do uncomfortable stuff like cleaning a wound or something, as often as not I hear the gravel grinding in the gizzard. I take it as nerves and discomfort. Otherwise I wonder, when people were talking about him being maybe stepped on, if a noise like that could be associated with a torn air sac. I don't think there's much to be done about that sort of thing, though.

But his video looked pretty ordinary to me. If he's off, he's not very off. And he's a very handsome fellow!

They are woo-girls. They are!

I wonder if the crackling noise was the gizzard grinding? If I have to handle one for a prolonged period and do uncomfortable stuff like cleaning a wound or something, as often as not I hear the gravel grinding in the gizzard. I take it as nerves and discomfort. Otherwise I wonder, when people were talking about him being maybe stepped on, if a noise like that could be associated with a torn air sac. I don't think there's much to be done about that sort of thing, though.

But his video looked pretty ordinary to me. If he's off, he's not very off. And he's a very handsome fellow!
That's possible, I've never had to take a listen to them before so it could have been his gizzard. I am very happy to hear that you think he looks good and acting normal.
I've never actually had one hunch up like that, they just always did the deed, flapped there wings and kept going.
The girls are so awesome and have been excepted almost immediately. One of them is laying an egg every day so far which makes me very happy.

Hey there everyone, I have another problem.
Malady is limping and has a slightly swollen and very warm to the touch foot.
I removed two bumbles and packed it with antibiotic ointment, however she is still not doing so well.
Any tips, tricks or ideas as to what I should be doing for her?

Hey there everyone, I have another problem.
Malady is limping and has a slightly swollen and very warm to the touch foot.
I removed two bumbles and packed it with antibiotic ointment, however she is still not doing so well.
Any tips, tricks or ideas as to what I should be doing for her?
She may need an oral antibiotic but first try soaking her foot in some warm Epsom salt water and then packing but if she has open wounds she will need to be kept on as clean of bedding as you can do with a duck. here is a link about how a member treated her ducks for bumble. and hope you see her healed soon. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

I second the oral antibiotic idea. If it has gone systemic that is what I would do. I don't know what the best medicine would be for that, it's probably in the archives.

The good news is that she is now walking on the foot. Limping, but walking! :)
I skimmed through, but what is the antibiotic that I should if she goes septic?

The good news is that she is now walking on the foot. Limping, but walking! :)
I skimmed through, but what is the antibiotic that I should if she goes septic?
She most probably already has if the foot was warm to the touch. Duramycin-10 at 1/2 tbls. per gallon for 7-10 days. If you have read the link given to you by Miss Lydia, you will also know I highly recommend iodine painted right on the bumble.

Back
Top Bottom